Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Adelaide Bits, Part I...

The following are hopefully interesting bits about your Adelaide which are not long enough for a blog entire, yet may still be a little enlightening...maybe...😂



I recently touched on in one of my Hilarious Theatre blog pieces how my assistant and I built a partial staircase with a landing for a play and how my heavy-duty hook hooked an actor by his suspenders.  

Often many are quite shocked to discover I had such 
an ability to not only use tools but to construct the theatre sets I designed too. 

The Theatre Scene Design curriculum involved far more than classes painting on huge canvas flats or painting plywood to look exactly like marble, bricks, or wood paneling.  It also involved classes learning how to use 
a table saw, circular saws, the ability to design then construct from various woods the magic of an entire theatre set from stage up. 

However I must confess, theatre always has a wealth 
of wonderful excited to learn interns, including some very dear set designer interns I was privileged to teach and mentor along the way.  Though they were not allowed to use the saws yet, they were a huge help to me down through the years in handling the huge pieces of lumber needed.  Besides my being proud to help launch them on their careers.

Now and then my interns would witness the ignorance 
I encountered, never hesitating to take a stand for me, which unfortunately was often needed.  For you see,  invariably people looking for The Set Designer would
see me...hear me, yet go straight to my interns as if I were not there.  And of course this would infuriate my interns. 

"Hello, I would like to learn how you come up with the amazing designs your sets are known for?"

"Uh...I'm an intern and I strongly suggest you speak to my highly talented boss, the Set Designer herself you just very rudely ignored, who happens to have a fully loaded nail gun in her hand at the moment and is not afraid to use it."😂



Remember my blog about the revolt of the eight year olds?  These were the dear kids who thought so much of me that when they were witnessing how our mean elderly teacher abused me because of my size, they didn't back down until their parents did something about it.  And we soon had a new teacher.

Well these kids gave me another powerful gift too.

We also had in our class a kid named Joey.  Joey had allergies and was the mean teacher's pet.  She constantly reminded us how fragile Joey was and 
often kept him with her at recess.  

One day Richard gathered us at the merry-go-round as he often did for important matters.  

"Who's had it with Joey?!!"

Of course we all immediately raised our hands because we all had it with Joey.

Richard continued, "He's a whiner!  No one wants to be around a whiner!"

Jordan said, "Yeah, look at Adelaide and what she's got!  You never hear HER whining!" 

Richard and everyone agreed.

And though I didn't realize it at that very moment, I sure did later.  For you see those kids confirmed something I had been instinctively doing since I was three.

We must become strong at our broken places, because the challenges in living will break us if we let them.  The survivor in me refused to let my circumstances break me.  I instinctively sought to surmount and then make strong the broken places rather than become mired down by them.

The more I became sought after by those seeking to have what they saw in me, I realized how much my horrendous childhood had actually necessitated in me from a very early age the need to reach out for what I was not getting like love and acceptance.  From the age of three I was already making strong my broken places with friends, by finding in others what so very sadly was missing from my parents.

I instinctively knew one does not make friends if one is a whiner or wallows in selfpity.  So from early childhood I made every effort to be the someone others would WANT to be around.  I embraced my innate sense of being outgoing and making friends.  And haven't stopped yet.💖💫



How many times on my journey have I heard from people shocked I own and gallop with abandon on 
my horses, "But horses are so HUGE and absolutely  terrifying!"😱

You see this is the second most comment I get following the infamous, "HOW do you get ON your horse," one.😂

Since I was one of the lucky ones born with the soul of a horse, whenever I encounter non-height challenged hoomans absolutely terrified of horses I am downright flummoxed.  

Oh these poor hoomans!  How do hoomans go through life being afraid of horses?  How do ANY hoomans go all through life without ever being owned by a HUGE horse?  Or seven?  For five decades?!!  Galloping with the wind?!!  And flying without wings upon their barebacks?!!🐎😂🐎💫





No comments:

Post a Comment