Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Because, I showed up...

How can I become outgoing like you are?"

Oh my, I cannot begin to tell the many times I have 
been asked this, especially after I began doing speaking engagements.  

The more I became sought after by those seeking to have what they saw in me, I realized how much my horrendous childhood had actually necessitated in me the need to reach out for what I was not getting, like love and acceptance.  So from the age of three I was already making friends by not only finding in others what so sadly was missing from my parents, but having a gift for also being the kind of fun loving inspired kid/adult others enjoyed being around...wanted to be around.  

Once a lady approached me after a talk I gave to a Women's Group.  She was a Social Worker and had a client who happened to be a Little Person.  Her client, much older than me still lived with her parents, never learned to drive, and never went anywhere unless with her parents.  Her parents were so overprotective she became imprisoned.  The Social Worker hoped if she and her parents could meet and talk with me this could be a catalyst of change.  When the Social Worker told her about me she became very excited to meet me.  

Sadly though, we never got to meet.  Fear.  The parents were horrified their daughter would even THINK to entertain thoughts of leaving.  They refused to let her ever see the Social Worker again, convincing the Little Person she HAD to be protected by them.  

Though I never met her I often think about how paralyzed she was by the fear of her parents and her own fear robbing her of having a life and one devoid of friends.  Sadly she's not alone for there are other Little People and many non-height challenged people who also let fear and insecurity keep them from having a life too.  Many become crushed by bullying, ridicule, or not having what is perceived as being the perfect body.  I also find people forever take for granted the profound blessings they have right in their very grasp with just being able to see, hear, walk, talk, smile, laugh, think, love, hug, and reach a shelf higher than a five year old is able to reach.  

Often after I have encouraged people to become aware of what they do have in their grasp this plants a seed of courage.  When that seed of courage grows it opens the door holding them back. 

I am so grateful for my innate determination and courage always enabling me to rise above the terrible circumstances I grew up with besides the many physical ones.  The very sorrow of these became my fight...my very reason to latch onto the far greater joy found in the gift of friends and being able to live one hell of an amazing life.  

How?  

I always put myself out there and show up.  I plunge in with my courage...spunk...and sense of humour.  And I always have the joy in discovering others I am so damn grateful to be on this journey with.

Like the ways I have shared here of how my Theatre, artists, writers, and horse friends all amazingly find each other, even on Social Media. 

In fact a dear friend in the U.K. and I were DM-ing about this gift of wonder just the other day.  For decades I have had close ties with the U.K. anyway.  So on Social Media is a interesting U.K. group pertaining to old postcards people in the U.K. sent each other, usually while traveling.  Then those of us in the group come up with hilarious responses to, or a continuation of what was written.  It's fun, and at times has been a very sweet diversion for unfolding events in this crazy world.  

Anyway, my friend and I began commenting on each others' expertise in the hilarious postcard responses we were coming up with.  Then we followed each other.  As I tend to be outgoing this soon began the ripple effect for discovering more amazing new friends I have also come to hold dear and am very grateful for.  Though 
we all may never meet in person and are separated by distance, our bonds of friendship are as deep and cherished as any I have known through the years.  All  because my friends and I showed up and put ourselves out there.    

Remember my blog on aplomb?  I described a beautiful scene which happened in busy Aisle Ten one day...

[In a city I once lived was a gentleman who was the official Santa, and he even looked just like Santa too, with a real white beard, red clothing, and spectacles.  

One day during the Christmas Season, I was in a busy grocery store shopping.  As I hurried around a corner up a crowded aisle I literally ran right smack into Santa.

For a moment we both just looked at each other in complete surprise.

Seizing the moment (there was a reason why I nailed an A in Acting 101 and am known for my courage), I blurted out, "Santa!  I know I should be with the other elves up North right now but there are things we REALLY need from this store!"

He jumped on it with me and replied, "Ho Ho Ho!  We've been so busy I understand my little one!  I had to come for Mrs. Claus.  She's making cookies.  Did the reindeer bring you too?"

"No, because they are all with you!  But I came our other way of getting around by using the magical snowmobile."

Back and forth we went.  You should have seen not 
only the faces of the kids in that aisle but all the adults too!  Everyone was just totally transfixed in sheer amazement and wonder, absolutely loving us to pieces!😃  

By seizing a moment with aplomb we gave a bunch of harried adults and tired kids a moment of sheer magic they will likely never forget.  Besides having fun doing it.  A beautiful touch of wonder moment in Aisle Ten.]

What I hadn't shared in the piece above is because of that one moment "Santa" asked if he could share what happened with a friend.  The friend was a newspaper reporter who wrote a piece entitled, "An Aisle Ten Moment Of Wonder."  This in turn touched lives since the piece detailed how this Little Person ran into Santa, seized a moment with aplomb and magic happened.
A family who witnessed the Aisle Ten magic that day got in touch with me.  We remained friends for many years.  Santa and I did too until his passing.

When we show up...when we have the courage to plunge forth and put ourselves out there, the bright wonder, the treasure, and joyful magic of friendship happens.💫














No comments:

Post a Comment