Sunday, November 22, 2020

Helping veterans and a coworker...

Another one of these interval jobs I had following long hospital stays was working in both the civilian and federal government capacity helping veterans obtain their benefits.  

The job was located on a military base far out in 
the country to accommodate military helicopters.  There was even a base tavern for base personnel open in evenings.    

My civilian coworker was a tough lady who had a heart of gold, cussed like a sailor, drank like a fish, and smoked like a chimney.  Her name was Rita.  And Rita had quite a story too.  Five years earlier Rita and her dear husband were driving into town to get take-out dinners for their four children and them.  A drunk driver hit their car head on killing Rita's soul mate instantly and nearly her.  She came close to losing her leg, yet fought like hell to walk again despite the prognosis.  

So here she was suddenly a widow with four kids.  She soon landed the job at the military base.  Though she usually kept people at arms length, she immediately formed a bond with me as I too, fought to walk yet again.  And she loved my wicked sense of humor.😂

Now Rita, who had never drank before this job, took up drinking at the base tavern.  As her drinking worsened she kept begging me to join her.  Since I didn't drink due to being on pain medication (and still haven't for the same reason) Rita would have me drive her home and spend the night, which I did for a time.  I got to know her kids and they adored me as I did them.  The youngest was deaf and thrilled to have someone outside her family who knew Sign Language.

One night Rita REALLY got drunk.  Finally, I got her to leave.  Only there was a problem.  My car didn't start.  Though I could reach the pedals and drive her sports car without using extensions, technically I wasn't supposed to.  Unfortunately there was no way to remove my extensions on my car without tools which we obviously didn't have.  Rita begged me to drive her car anyway.

"Well whash could go wr-wr-wrong?" she said. "Aww, come on Shadelaide, we've jus' got to get home!  My k-k-kids...hiccup...shwill be waitin' ups for ush.  How elsh can we...hiccup...do thish?"

Thankfully we didn't have far to go on a country backroad.  After some silent prayers on my part I drove.  And then...

"Shaydelaide, I wanna shmoke now."

"NOT NOW!"

"Oh but Shaydelaide, I...hiccup...NEED a shmoke!"

"You're going to wait!"

"Yesh, mam!"  As she attempted a salute and accidentally whacked me in the face.🥴

Then she got all teary and mushy on me.

"Shaydelaide, do youse know yoursh the b-b-bestest friend I...hiccup...have eversh had?  Yoush r-really are."

"That's sweet."

"Shaydelaide, can I shmoke yet?"

"NO!"

"Uh oh.  Shaydelaide...hiccup...I need to pee."

"YOU'RE GOING TO HOLD IT!"

"Yesh shir!!  I mean...hiccup...your majusht...your majush...oh hell...your highness-sess.  Uh, Shaydelaide, what am I shitting on?"

"You're sitting on your coat."

"Uh-oh...hiccup...I think it-est wet."🙃

We made it.  That was the most crazy drive I ever made.  And the last with Rita.  

Though the word for this is called an intervention now, this is what her kids and I did by seizing the moment the next day.  We knew she needed help. 
 
I told her drowning her sorrow in alcohol was making her kids feel like orphans because she was lost in drinking.  I also shared how she could scar them for life if she didn't get a grip on herself and acknowledge she had a very serious problem.  We understood why she was drinking, but she was letting it destroy her life and her kids who needed her.  From that moment she got sober and changed.

She still swore and smoked like crazy though, but we were all thrilled she wasn't drinking anymore.

Soon after, Theatre which always had hold of my heart came calling again and I galloped off to another bright new chapter of my journey.  

For a time I kept in touch with everyone.  Rita eventually married again and life was good for all.  Said I would always be the best friend she ever had.

"Adelaide, you really saved my life and gave my kids their mother back.  But you know what?  I still can't remember how we got home that night."

"That's WHY I intervened."💫  

"And we're all so grateful you did."💕































No comments:

Post a Comment