Tuesday, November 24, 2020

So just how DO you get ON your horse...

When people hear I own and ride horses the question I am asked first and more than any other is, "How DO you get ON your horse?"  Usually followed by, "How do you STAY on?"  You see I tried saddles but I had more trouble staying on WITH a saddle, both English and Western, than I ever did riding bareback.  With short legs and all the leather, even using stirrups I would pop up (and off) like a cork when I gripped, with my horse looking at me like I was crazy which they are very good at doing.  Besides, I love to feel at one when riding my horses anyway, which I do riding bareback.  And I stay on.  Well for the most part anyway.🐎😂🐎

So back to how I GET on.  I had such a bond with all my horses they understood the fact that when it came time for me to get on them, they then needed to stand next to something.  

Usually I would lead them next to my car, climb on the hood of the car then get on.  But horses cannot always be depended upon to stand perfectly still for more than ten seconds so I had to act fast, yet now and then with hilarious results.  I cannot begin to tell you how many times I would propel myself too hard and go sailing right OVER them to the ground and then REALLY get that certain crazy look because you see horses can be very expressive in conveying exactly what it is they are thinking, especially when they think their hooman is crazy for leaping in the air from an object hoping to land upon their back.😂

If not the car hood I would use fallen trees, or climb on a fence, or if lucky an actual mounting block.

Dismounting was always easier.  Usually I would slide off and drop to the ground mostly on my feet but often unceremoniously on my rear.  Again getting that crazy look.😂

Horses sometimes are unpredictable.  Sometimes they suddenly stop unexpectedly.  When this happened, I would go headfirst sliding down their neck, if I was lucky.  Occasionally though my flying high up in the air a bit before reaching the ground with considerable aplomb could occur.🙃

By the way all these "events" I just described would beautifully, brilliantly happen without incident most of the time.  However, that one moment when the "event"
happened without brilliance would be THE MOMENT 
an audience would be casting their full attention upon this Little Lady dressed like a hippie climbing on the hood of her car mind you, to throw herself high into the air right OVER the backs of her horses to land on the other side with her amazing aplomb before dissolving into hysterical laughter.🤣

Sooo, now my dear ones you know the ways this Little Person got on her horses, and the many ways she also "got off" her horses too.🐎😂🐎


                               Bashum at fourteen

No comments:

Post a Comment