Thursday, July 29, 2021

Long Ago Just Yesterday...

There are moments in our lives where it may take just a word, a place, or a song to bring the memories of cherished moments flooding back...


Long ago and far away on a dark December Sunday after Aiden and I cared for our horses, we finally made 
a stop at a old place near the farm in rural Maryland which sold antiques and all kinds of treasure.  It was a old weathered place but very warm and cozy inside.
There were a few chairs and tables too where coffee and homemade pie could be ordered.  No way would Aiden's sweet tooth ever let us pass THAT opportunity by!

The proprietors of the place, Mr. and Mrs. Shropshire obviously were quite intrigued with us being one of us was a bit unique you see.  When they then learned we BOTH had horses they were even more intrigued.  They had two questions. 

"How did the two of you meet?"

Aiden answered, "Well, my horse wouldn't let me catch her, but Adelaide's horse always comes running to her.
My horse became buddies with hers so I had no choice BUT to get to know this lady!"

Then they asked me the infamous, "How DO you get ON your horse?!!"

We had a lovely visit with the Shropshires.  Since Dr. Kopits was well known in Maryland they knew about 
his work with Little People and asked if I knew him.

"Ohhh yes, very much so.  Dr. Kopits is why I moved here.  He asked if I could for surgeries.  He is beside himself with happiness for Aiden and I.  He even has insisted on walking me down the aisle to give me away for our wedding!"

"My oh my, you two are getting married?!!  When?"

Aiden told them.  "April 1st!"

"April Fool's Day?!!"

"Of course!  Why not?  We're fools for each other!  It will be a FUN day for a wedding!  Besides, Dr. Kopits told us he's free that weekend so Adelaide and I grabbed it."

After we were done eating pie we looked all around 
the place.  And that's when Aiden saw it.  A lovely old brass and glass music box.  After he wound it and pressed the little lever the sweet tinkling purring music box melody of "Unchained Melody" poured out filling the air and filling our hearts.  We looked at each other in wordless wonder for "Unchained Melody" was one of OUR songs.

We HAD to buy it.  Only the Shropshires wouldn't hear 
of us paying for the music box.  They dearly insisted on giving it to us for a wedding gift!  We were SO touched.

Then they had one more question.  Since they were aware of the cruel ridicule Little People live with they wondered how we dealt with it.

I explained it was because I lived with cruel ridicule all my life, obviously I was more "used" to it than Aiden.  It really was hard for him and understandably so to see and hear what the non-humans were capable of doing.
It was a challenge for him to ignore such behavior for everything within him wanted only to protect me.  He too had to learn ignoring is the only way. 

I miss him so.  Yet oh, how I treasure the time we had.

I still have that precious music box.  For years I could hardly touch it.  Every now and then though I play it's sweet soft melody so dear to my heart.💕🎶

Oh my love, my darling
I've hungered for your touch
A long lonely time
And time goes by so slowly 
And time can do so much
Are you still mine
I need your love
I need your love
God speed your love to me

Lonely rivers flow to the sea to the sea
To the open arms of the sea
Lonely rivers sigh wait for me wait for me
I'll be coming home wait for me

Oh my love, my darling
I've hungered for your touch
A long lonely time
And time goes by so slowly 
And time can do so much
Are you still mine
I need your love
I need your love
God speed your love to me










No comments:

Post a Comment