Sunday, July 18, 2021

NEW! The Certificate Behind Dr. Kopits In This Photo...


I have yet to mention this, but while the story of plunging into Dr. Kopits' life is fresh, there is a bit more to my stay in Baltimore those four weeks.  If you notice, there is an item in the frame in the upper right in the above photo of Dr. Kopits at his desk in his office.

Since I knew Kentucky Governors honoured Kentucky citizens recommended to them by letter of a person who could share how they were making positive differences in lives around them, I wondered if Maryland did the same.

So I called the Maryland Governor's Office and was told they did indeed honour citizens of the state too, depending upon the letter received as to why they should.

During those four weeks in Baltimore, when I was not being tested, getting MRI's, or blood transfusions, I had time on my hands.  Which for me then, was unusual. 

Not one to waste it, I went to work.

Because I knew all about Dr. Kopit's history and how his family had to flee Hitler, how he became a orthopaedic surgeon, then how he devoted his career to helping Little People, I had everything I needed, including photos I borrowed to tell his story.  

I told of the huge life changing differences he was making in the lives of Little People.  Then I had to tell MY life story and how we came to know one another.

Though we had only technically just met, I told the amazing story how I became his patient and a friend too. 

Then I mailed it hoping for the best.

During my last week in Maryland, I received a call that Dr. Kopits wanted to see me in his office immediately and could I please come?

We were waiting results on a test so I assumed it was about that and it could not be good if he needed to see me right away.

I was ushered right into Dr. Kopits' office.  He burst into tears as he held up the certificate from the Governor honoring him as Outstanding Citizen Of Maryland.  Then he showed me the letter the Governor wrote him.  The same Governor, who later personally welcomed me to the state when he saw the story how Patches and I were moving there.

And THEN the Governor included a copy of the letter I had written why Dr. Kopits should be honoured.

Dr. Kopits was profoundly touched.  Even more so by how I pulled it off in just those four weeks as ill as I was in between all the procedures.  He burst into tears.  So did his patient.  And then his staff.

He immediately had the certificate and letters framed to hang in a place of honour in his office behind his desk.

And that, my friends, is what you see in the upper right hand corner in the photo taken not long before he passed away.

I will forever be grateful I took the time to honour him, and that it would touch and brighten his life in the ways it did.

This is why we should always grab the brass ring moment, dear ones.  Especially when it can be a bright shining gift to someone who matters.



No comments:

Post a Comment