Friday, August 6, 2021

Learn To Play Your Part...

Life is a stage,
So learn to play your part,
Keep your head held high,
And learn to bear its sorrows.
                           Palladius


Through the years I worked on many Theatre stages from large famous ones to very small ones.  That Theatre has been such a wonderful constant in my life is symbolic in a sense.  For you see I have so often been told what an inspiration I am to others in the ways I "learned to play my part by keeping my head held high" upon the challenging stage my journey is on. 

And at other times quite unaware I was an inspiration until later.

Twice I was told I wouldn't be able to walk again.  Twice I didn't listen (I can be stubborn when it comes to these things you see).  Earlier I shared with you the second time this happened...

The first time I was only nineteen.

Eleven hours into the surgery my neurosurgeons and orthopaedic surgeons ran into complications through no fault of theirs.  Suddenly I began bleeding out yet nothing as serious as my second spine surgery when I nearly died in a massive sudden bleed out when we learned I have a rare form of hemophilia and anemia.  

Anyway back to the first spine surgery.  Thirteen hours later they were done.  Twenty-four hours in surgery.  The next day in ICU my doctors were anxious to see if I still had any movement in my legs asking me to move them.  Nothing happened.

I had a horse.  I was in school and worked.  My artwork was selling.  I had a life.  Obviously, I would have adjusted to being paralyzed but I wasn't ready to give up hope yet.  I kept focusing on my legs and wouldn't let go of what it was like to ride or dance.  Then I heard about a six mile marathon scheduled for July 4th, two months away.  I had this crazy idea to at least be able to do the last mile of it walking.  On my own.  

My surgeon very kindly reminded me, "But honey, you can't even move your legs!"

"No shit," I said.  "But I'm going to!  Watch me."

Despite being a Little Person...despite my awful childhood, I came packaged with six things for this very challenging journey of mine:  the soul of a horse, a sense of humor, an indomitable spirit, determination in spades, artistic talent, and an innate sense of positivity.  Positivity bigger than Norman Vincent Peale positivity.  And that's BIG, my friends!

So the ward I was on did not have any other young people at the time.  The other patients were up in age recovering from hip or knee surgeries.  And one of them WAS watching...listening to me.  Only I didn't know yet.

Slowly, slowly, ever so slowly my toes, feet, legs began getting movement.  I was pouring everything into them to make them move.  My doctors could not believe what they were seeing!

One day my surgeon suddenly took me down to Physical Therapy by literally scooping me up into his arms and carrying me there.  He positioned me at one end of the parallel bars so I could hold onto them.  He thought at best I would manage one or two steps.  I stubbornly managed to go all the way to the other end and return.  He was speechless!  However, it wasn't as easy as it sounds though.

For getting myself from one end of the parallel bars and back was very painful, exhausting, and tough.  But I did it!  Barely shuffling, but I did it!  I was on my way!

Soon I progressed enough to be allowed to get in and out of bed on my own.

My doctor measured how many rounds of the 6th floor it would take to make a mile.  Four rounds made 1/4 of a mile so 16 rounds were needed each day for me to do that Marathon mile.

I was on it!

Finally the big day came.  I was still shuffling needing two canes but could hold my own.  At least on the 6th Floor anyway, but could I on the outside?  I wore my shirt I had made with the words, "I'M GONNA WIN!"

My doctors, nurses, and various other hospital staff were there too.  I had been granted a pass to leave the hospital for this under my doctors' care.

And someone else was there too.

Mr. Rothschild who was across the hall from me was recovering from a painful knee surgery.  He told my doctors and I later he was very depressed after his surgery, and was terrified of the pain to the point of giving up.

Yet he kept hearing me refusing to give up.  Then he witnessed me struggling to do those 6th Floor rounds without giving up.  Mr. Rothschild thought if someone like me with so much wrong who was not giving up despite all my challenges, then he certainly could do the same too.

Soon we BOTH were doing those 16 rounds on the 6th floor together.  Mr. and Mrs. Rothschild and I went on to become very close friends and would remain as such for the remainder of their lives.

Together we did that mile, applauded by many.

You see, we just never know who is about to be inspired by the way we are playing our part and keeping our head held high on the tough stage of life, dear ones.

So tenaciously hold onto courage, and keep your head held high on the stage of your journey.🐎💫




No comments:

Post a Comment