Friday, August 13, 2021

Standing Out Prominently...

Webster Dictionary's definition for the word "BOLD" is as follows:  showing or requiring a fearless daring spirit; being assured, confident; adventurous, free; or standing out prominently. 


I definitely managed to always have the "standing out prominently" bit nailed.  Some who know me say I personify bold.  Certainly a daring spirit anyway.   

One thing for certain though, when I was a very young age I realized in order to make it in this world at all in MY body I had to embrace boldness to survive.  Yet what exactly IS bold?

Well, the opposite of bold and what brings boldness
to a crashing halt is fear.  Like the fear of failing.  Insecurity.  Having courage and being bold go hand
in hand.  For there are times one HAS to be bold if
one has no choice but to plunge forth with nothing
to lose and a hell of a lot to gain.

MANY years ago when I was seventeen and had applied to get into the Theatre Scene Design program the Chairman of the Theatre Department, Dr. Ravenall, wanted to see me.  Though he said I certainly had the artistic talent by viewing my portfolio having painted on large flats for high school theatre productions, he had obvious concerns my height challenges would hinder me.

I have a quote I discovered many years ago which says when we have the courage to be bold a very amazing thing happens.  We can become a force to be reckoned with.  So as I plunged forth with the courage to be bold the very amazing thing suddenly happened.  Oh, did it ever.  Because in a FLASH little Adelaide became a HUGE force to be reckoned with.

Even though I am about the same size standing as I am sitting, I suddenly stood up in front of Dr. Ravenall to my full height of my very VERY TALL 4'3" and boldly let him know just a few things about myself.  That it was BECAUSE of my height I would be an asset as I had more to prove and I WOULD.  

"Not only THAT," I boldly continued, "I have far more courage than the average person.  "In fact Dr. Ravenall,
I am BURSTING with courage."

Oh was I ever on a roll of a lifetime for my future was at stake.  And so too, was my heart in becoming a Theatre Scene Designer.

"Furthermore, I am very talented too," which he agreed.  

"Oh, and one more thing," I also very boldly blurted out to Dr. Ravenall, "I own and gallop on my horse bareback flying across fields!  How many people do you know who can?!!"

At this his jaw dropped.  He was so astounded by this, for a moment he was speechless.  Dr. Ravenall was amazed.  He told me he never had ANYONE talk to him before in such a way.  Especially a young person facing him eye to eye while standing at her full height!  Then he became silent.  

It was one of those moments of silence which seemed to last ten years.  For a moment I thought, "Oh shit.  I've blown it."

Finally Dr. Ravenall spoke.  

"Adelaide, I am not only going to admit you to the program, but our renown Prof. Emeritus of Scene Painting, Dr. Sonderling, takes only eleven students every other year who have extraordinary talent and character and because you have just shown me both in spades I am putting you in his final class this semester."

Wow.  Being one of The Few chosen for THAT class
was BIG.  Really big.  So was being admitted to the Theatre Scene Design program too.  Boldness threw 
the door wide open for me.

The courage which became the catalyst for causing
an amazing thing to happen when I was bold is latent within us all far more than we realize.  We all have what it takes within ourselves to embrace this at the place where we have nothing to lose, yet everything to gain.

Strive to be bold my dear ones, by being a daring spirit to be reckoned with.  

And stand TALL doing it too...πŸ’«πŸŽπŸ˜ƒπŸŽπŸ’«








No comments:

Post a Comment