Monday, August 9, 2021

The Black Boots...

At the end of this blog is again the newspaper photo of Patches and I to show what I was wearing when the somewhat hilarious event here unfolded one day, which could only happen to your Adelaide.

I share this photo because I am dressed as usual in my unique style using ballet attire I have had a penchant for, besides the fact for me at least, ballet pieces never need hemming.  The exact piece in the photo is very important because it was on me when this event unfolded.  The only difference is I was wearing a lovely black turtleneck top under the piece you see, with unique purple, yellow, and red flowers because it was winter.  And black leotards.  But I was wearing something else too which also very significantly contributed to this event.

After I fed Patches before the sun arose that morning as I did every morning, I drove the forty-two miles to the performing arts center I worked for.  I wore my trusty black rubber boots in the shape of cowboy boots until I could then change into other shoes.

On this particular day at the arts center there happened to be HUGE meetings of not only our Board Members but our Investors.  So obviously our Executive Director wanted EVERYTHING to be perfect.  Especially because on THIS day the Board Members and Investors wanted to be given backstage tours so they could meet the usually unseen staff who help make all the "magic" happen.

When I arrived at the arts center that morning I made a horrifying discovery.  You see in the dark while Patches ate I dressed for this huge day ahead except for the shoes.  A routine I did quite often very successfully.  Only on THIS day the bag containing my dress shoes was still sitting under the tree because I needed to move them for a moment to reach the feed bucket!

Staff members assured me the adorable rubber boots actually complimented my dress after I cleaned all the mud off.  They also believed I may have begun a new fashion trend.  The only problem however with these rubber boots as we discovered is they were not quiet, which was something I had never noticed before.  For you see my little black rubber boots had many decibels of loudness as I walked which went as follows and I am NOT kidding:  

SQUIGGEE SQUIGGEE SQUISH SQUISH

In fact our sound guy was VERY insistent on wanting to record the sound for a special project he was working on, that is after the Board Members and Investors had gone of course.  Though at the moment I didn't quite share his same enthusiasm.  

We also soon discovered my SQUIGGEE SQUIGGEE SQUISH SQUISH increased in intensity when I used the restroom, for after exiting I found my fellow loyal staff members were all outside the door rolling on the floor 
in hysterical laughter. 

I had no choice but to plunge forth and hope I may not need to use the restroom again or have to move around much which would be all but impossible given the fact
I was scheduled to give the Board Members and Investors a grand tour of the Scene Shop with a crash course in how a Scene Designer designs!  Including my SQUIGGEE SQUIGGEE SQUISH SQUISH sound effects!

Aside from this the Board Members and Investors had another reason why they were ESPECIALLY keen to meet me for recently I had been featured in a art magazine in a long piece focusing on my art, Scene Design work, my indomitable spirit, and my horses.
  
Indirectly this piece brought a massive wave of positive attention to the arts center because it's Scene Designer was viewed as not only being female but physically challenged too, yet they hired me.  Obviously I was very grateful they did as I wasn't their only candidate.  I was actually chosen by the arts center because I came with not only being quite capable but respected and talented for the job.  In other words I had already proven myself in my profession.๐ŸŽญ

Anyway there was no way Adelaide could keep silent the SQUIGGEE SQUIGGEE SQUISH SQUISH.

Late morning here they all came with Martin, our Executive Director.  I plunged right in explaining what happened and why I was wearing my fancy boots with the loud sound effects, demonstrating this fact for them first so we could get on with the more important things.  After the group could all finally quit laughing they first had a far more pressing question to ask me,  "How DO you get ON your horse?!!"  [I am asked this SO much if I ever write a book THAT will be the title.๐Ÿ˜‚]

Then I walked them all through the role the Scene Designer plays from the moment a play, ballet, opera or musical theatre production has been decided upon.  We eventually moved from the Scene Shop to the stage itself so I could wrap up explaining my work and our Lighting Designer Neil could take over explaining his work.

Then the unexpected happened, for at times the stage can be dangerous.  Some of us more seasoned to certain sounds know when to react.  

The only thing Martin, our Executive Director said he remembered hearing is, "Adelaide's rapid SQUIGGEE SQUIGGEE SQUISH SQUISH before she shoved me out of harm's way from a falling stage lamp!  It just missed us both but made a huge gash in her leg!"

The gash nearly five inches long required stitches after Martin and I both were rushed to the ER by ambulance.  He sustained a large hematoma on his forehead when his head connected with the stage due to the force of my powerful shove knocking him over.

Had I not been wearing those SQUIGGEE SQUIGGEE SQUISH SQUISH rubber boots of mine but been in my dressy shoes with slick soles and heels I never could have shoved Martin and myself both out of the way in time.  So there was a reason those shoes remained beneath the grove of trees that morning.

Now each time I notice the long scar forever there I cannot help but hear in my memory that SQUIGGEE SQUIGGEE SQUISH SQUISH...๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ’ซ











No comments:

Post a Comment