Monday, August 30, 2021

Lenny...

Leonard Bernstein not only was a gifted composer 
but a very brilliant conductor.  Besides being a very passionate person about things that mattered most to him, he also had one hell of a sense of humour. 

When I was in New York for a summer Theatre Scene Design workshop in the 1980's I was very briefly at Lincoln Center during this time where The New York Philharmonic Orchestra also had its home.

As I have shared before, sometimes being a Little Person can throw wide open doors the non-height challenged hoomans may not get to experience.  I was in my usual plunging-forth-walking-very tall rush down a back hallway when who did I collide with as I rounded 
a corner, but dear Mr. Bernstein who suddenly found himself with this Little Person he didn't expect to find down here, who became somewhat tangled in his 
legs.😳

After we disentangled ourselves from each other as 
we both began apologizing, all at once in mid-sentence it dawned on me just WHO I was standing before.  Something dawned on Mr. Bernstein too at the same time.

"Oh crap!  Of all people for me to embarrass myself by colliding into it would be you, Mr. Bernstein.  Someone I have so adored through the years!"

"You're a Little Person!"

"Oh shit!  Is it really THAT noticeable?!!"

Well that sure cracked him up.  He wanted to know if I worked at Lincoln Center.  I quickly explained I was a Theatre Scene Designer attending a summer workshop.

Mr. Bernstein asked if I enjoyed being in New York.  Told him how I loved the Workshop I had been chosen for.  Then briefly told him I couldn't bring my horse with me but how friends with horses in the city had one I was often riding in Central Park and how much I loved this.

"A horse?!!  You have a horse?!!  How DO you get ON them?!!"πŸ™ƒ

So I explained my leaping through the air way of landing on their backs...most of the time.  Then I asked HIM a very important question.

"Mr. Bernstein, I love watching not only how animated you become when you conduct, but how you have a blast doing it.  I even read once for fun you can conduct by using only your eyebrows!"

Then not wanting to take anymore of this dear man's time I thanked Mr. Bernstein expressing how much it meant to become entangled with him.

"How would you like to see me do that?  Conduct with my eyebrows for a few moments?"

"Are you kidding?!!  Oh my, I would LOVE to!"

"We're in rehearsal right now.  Come with me and I'll show you!"

Mr. Bernstein grabbed my hand and off we went!

"Uh, Mr. Bernstein, your legs are waaay longer than mine.  Can you SLOW down just a bit!"πŸ˜‚

He introduced me to the orchestra and had me sit on a empty chair in their midst so I could watch him.

"What's one of your favourite pieces?"

"Fanfare For The Common Man."

There are no words in the Universe to express how      incredible and fun and enthralling it was to be given this brief gift of watching LEONARD BERNSTEIN conduct The New York Philharmonic not using a baton but only his very expressive face.

I had to keep reminding myself I wasn't dreaming!

As The Philharmonic needed to rehearse and I had to be on my way too, I bid farewell to Mr. Bernstein.

"Please, I ask that my friends call me Lenny." 

"Why thank you, Lenny!  I ask that my friends call me Adelaide."

We hugged and I knew this would be a visit I would never forget.

Several years later soon after the Berlin Wall came down, I saw in the news Lenny went over organizing both the East and West German Orchestras to play together in peace for the first time ever with Lenny conducting.

In October of 1990, Leonard Bernstein passed away at the age of seventy-two.😒 

I put on my record album of Leonard Bernstein Conducting The New York Philharmonic performing
"Fanfare For The Common Man."  

Only in honour of Mr. Bernstein, I now think of the piece as "Fanfare For The Very Gifted, Uncommon Man."

Because he was.

Thank you, my dear Lenny.πŸ’«













No comments:

Post a Comment