Sunday, October 17, 2021

A Bright Encounter...

After the tragic death of Aiden and the shining life lost we had together I left Maryland with Patches in tow for a small theatre as Scene Designer.  I knew this would be my last Design Season and likely my final move as my health was severely deteriorating.

Yet before I left Maryland a bright magical encounter happened and one clearly meant to happen...
  

A Japanese actor in a production at a theatre I had done the set for and I became friends.  Miko had been in the U.S. with his family for several years after they moved to Maryland.  Miko's parents who were both educators came too and Miko's Grandfather.

It was not long before I became close with them all.  Especially Miko's grandfather, Akio.  Now Akio knew as much English as I knew Japanese which was zilch.  But sometimes when a special friendship is meant to be not even a language barrier gets in the way.

For you see Akio was an artist who rendered beautiful pieces in Japanese ink, having learned from his father and grandfather.  Sadly though neither his son or grandson had any interest in being taught the ancient techniques.

Then along comes Adelaide who had a passion for Japanese ink drawings of all time periods.  I loved working with Japanese ink.  But because of my work and caring for a horse what I learned came only from books.  So to encounter Akio, a Japanese artist taught in the ancient techniques was thrilling.

I hit it off with Akio the moment we met.

When Miko introduced us, Akio told Miko I was short which Miko translated to me.  

I responded with laughter in my usual very dignified good behavior by suddenly blurting out, "No shit!"😳

Well "shit" just happened to be a word in English Akio 
knew and burst into laughter shocking his family.  He told Miko he thought "the bright sun" was in me.  So we really hit it off.  Who knew "shit" would be the beginning of a very dear friendship?!!😂

The next time I saw Akio I brought an album I threw together to open my life up for him.  I had photos of me in various phases of theatre set construction and scene painting.  As Akio's family explained what I did, he expressed to them how impressed he was by my work in theatre.

Then I showed him my Patches photos.  And guess what Akio asked his family to ask me?!!  Drumroll...the question I am asked more than any other, "How DOES she get ON her horses?!!"  Only in Japanese.

He was impressed.

Akio became more impressed much to my delight when I showed him my equine art.  And then...AND THEN...my Japanese ink drawings.  Akio's eyes suddenly filled with tears. 

Then when I asked if he would teach me the ancient techniques Akio had tears pouring down his cheeks.  He was very touched to discover someone who knew and appreciated the ancient techniques and was eager to be taught by a master in them.

Now it was my turn to be touched.  He agreed.  Even said it would be an honour!  Soon we all had tears.

So began the odyssey of teacher and student.  All because the only word of English Akio knew was "shit."

The wise teacher and eager student were on our own for the ancient technique sharing.  For you see the sharing of art transcends language.  Especially when there is passion involved.  For nearly four months we
painted together.  Then apparently my dear teacher who was in his late eighties had sensed his time to cross over was near as he was busy with the help of his son preparing a large wooden box for the "no shit" friend and student he treasured having as much as I did Akio.
We really had a special bond.

After Akio crossed peacefully in his sleep one night, Miko and his parents had me over.  Said they had something very special to present me with.  But first Akio's son wanted me to know how much I had brightened his father's life.

Until then, I did not know, but Akio also referred to me as "the little Samurai," because he felt my indomitable spirit.  And he believed anyone as little as me galloping on the barebacks of horses had to have the courage of the Samurai.

In the wooden box were Akio's brushes of all sizes handed down for generations as well as pens made out of various woods to be dipped in ink too.  There were bottles and bottles of the finest ink made in Japan, including the finest, exquisite papers made by hand for ink painting.

And finally, something to me more special than all:  a heavy Samurai Horse two centuries old made out of sterling silver and pewter.  The arch of the neck of this horse has been worn smooth as you will soon see.  

Why?

Because it has been believed by rubbing the neck one will be smiled upon, able to win the battles to be fought.
Akio believed I needed all the help I could get in fighting mine.

I have three drawing/art tables.  On one is where I keep this special and very treasured Samurai Horse.  He proudly stands with his arched neck worn smooth with the hands of those who came before me.  Since he is also where I take my forty-nine pills each day, we spend a lot of time together. 

And always my fingers reach out to rub the neck as I remember a dear Samurai who came before me who passed along his art to his eager student. 

And oh, so much more.






















No comments:

Post a Comment