Thursday, December 30, 2021

Even One Candle...

"There is not enough darkness in all the world that can put out the light of even one small candle."


In my beloved writer Arthur Gordon's book, "A Touch Of Wonder," is the quote above.  He went on to say, the quote was found on a small gravestone after one of the many bombing raids on Britain during early WWII.  Some thought the quote was surely written by someone famous.  But it wasn't.  For it was written by a very sad, lonely elderly woman whose cherished cat, which was all she had, was killed by a Nazi bomb.


I have always been a star gazer.  One thing I noticed is how the darker the sky, the brighter the stars shine.  You see, though darkness is not the Source of the Light, darkness is what empowers the light to shine stronger and far brighter than the light would without it.

The ones who have inspired me the most on my challenging journey are those who faced their challenges with such profound courage their lives radiated light shining their inspiration forth.

Many years ago I read the incredibly touching book by Paula D'Arcy, entitled, "Song For Sarah." She and her husband were expecting their second child.  Their first was Sarah, a toddler.  One Sunday in 1975 when they were traveling home after a visit with family, a drunk driver plowed into their car head-on seriously injuring Ms. D'Arcy, and killing both Mr. D'Arcy and Sarah.

In one brief shattering moment everything Ms. D'Arcy held dear was gone, except for the child she still carried.  At the time Ms. D'Arcy was keeping a journal and somehow she continued, pouring out her anguish, which eventually became her very inspiring "Song For Sarah."  She inspired out of the darkest, most shattering losses of her life.

Ms. D'Arcy's courageous experience has inspired millions around the world.  She helped me.  First, during the daunting challenges following each of my first two spine surgeries from which I had to learn how to walk again twice.  She especially helped me again years later when Aiden died.  Here was someone who knew the darkness of terrible, gut wrenching tragedy, whose journey through her sorrow was the very reason she shined so brightly, becoming such a profound gift for others.  These are the kinds of people who are my inspiration.

Many say my journey does the same for them.  I always hope so.  There is a reason why all my challenges have been so dark on my journey I will understand when I at last cross over to Heaven.  For now, the darkness my indomitable spirit keeps shining out from is my candle burning bright while I yet breathe.

When life is tough, remember my dear ones, all the darkness of heartbreaking challenges cannot put out the light of even one candle.  

May your candle burn bright with hope and courage.









No comments:

Post a Comment