Thursday, January 6, 2022

A Bright Encounter, II

Today, yesterday, and one more tomorrow which will be the final part of these three in this series of touching pieces about bright encounters I hope may make your wonderful world seem brighter.  For no matter what ugly meanness I experience out there, I find far brighter encounters because I live knowing they are out there.  So I find them.  Or...they, find me...


Often when plays are running or rehearsals are taking place, senior members of the Theatre Staff take turns being present should anything be needed or go wrong, and to lock the House up.  As there was ALWAYS work to do in the Scene Shop that's where I could be found whenever it was my turn. 

While working at the theatre in Michigan during a rehearsal for Neil Simon's "Broadway Bound" a bright encounter happened.  The play was based on Simon's life in New York as a young writer trying to land a radio show to get started, with his hearts desire to eventually make it as a playwright on Broadway one day.  It really is a very touching play.

I was in the Scene Shop painting a set when the play's Director, Nathan appeared.

"Adelaide, we just noticed there is an elderly lady sitting in the House midway back watching us rehearse.  Do you know who she is and if she's supposed to be here?"

"No I don't, and as far as I know no one else is supposed to be here except us.  Have you spoken to her?"

"I thought you should.  She's probably homeless."

"Now Nathan, you shouldn't assume that."

"I know, but there just is something about her."

"I will come speak to her, but please continue on with the rehearsal."

"Sure."

With only the stage in lights the House begins getting very dark midway back.  I found the lady seated several seats in from the aisle.  As I sat down two seats away from her I noticed she was very thin and pale.  She also had a somewhat large leather bag with her.

I extended my hand.  "Hi, I'm Adelaide, the Scene Designer here."

"Hello Adelaide, my name is Maggie."

"Lovely to meet you Maggie.  Do you enjoy theatre?" 

"I do!  My late husband and I never missed a single performance here.  In fact we used to sit somewhere right around here."

"Awww, has it been very long since he passed?"

"About two years."

"I'm so sorry.  You must really miss him."

"I do more than anything, though it won't be too long before we're together again.  I am dying of cancer and on my way to catch the bus to the hospice place.  I do not have much longer, Adelaide.  As I was walking to the bus stop I saw lights on and since the sidedoor was unlocked I couldn't help but come in here once more."

At this point my heart was breaking for her.

"Adelaide, did you design and build that set for this?"

"Yes, my Intern Scott and I did."

"How...how...I hope you won't mind me asking this but how did you as tiny as you are ever become a Scene Designer?"

"I do not mind answering any questions you have, Maggie.  If I had to give you an answer in one word it would be heart.  Heart because of a deep abiding passion to work in theatre as a Scene Designer and a heart of courage with determination to make it all happen.  Have you ever heard the quote by William Arthur Ward, "If you imagine it, you can achieve it.  If you dream it, you can become it?"

"No, but I wish I had!  Adelaide, please tell me more.  How do you deal with all the challenges of being in your body?  How did you come to accept yourself and then your challenges?  My cancer was found the year before my husband died.  I really did try to fight it, but after Ray died everything became so hard.  We never could have children.  I am all alone.  Now the cancer has spread to my bones, liver, lungs, even my brain."

"I am so sorry, Maggie.  What I can tell you for where you are right now that I hope may be of some help is to share with you something I learned long ago called 'The Serenity Prayer.'  Have you ever heard of it?"

"No!  Oh, please tell me 'The Serenity Prayer!'"

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

"Oh Adelaide!  Can you write that down for me?"

"I'll be happy to once I get paper and a..."

Suddenly from the darkness across the aisle behind me came more than one voice, "Here Adelaide!  Please use my paper and pen!"

I turned around to find Nathan and the whole "Broadway Bound" cast all seated across the aisle!

"How long have you guys been there?!!"

Nathan responded, "Uh...well...a...kind of when you introduced yourself to Maggie?  There's not a dry eye over here, Adelaide.  Please don't stop!  PLEASE?"

"Maggie, I have one more thing to share for now and I hope you may understand why I am.  Since very young I have held onto what I call my gratitude attitude.  Rather than my becoming hopeless and mired down long ago because I am a dwarf, I shifted my focus by embracing a constant awareness of how damn lucky I am to see, hear, walk, talk, laugh, ride my horses..."

All at once from two different directions, "YOU have horses?!!"

"Yes, and when we are done here I will tell all of you HOW I get ON them, I promise!  Anyway, I have so many dear friends, a sense of humour, am doing what I love, on and on.  By shifting my focus from the negatives to positives life holds more, so much more.  Perhaps in your situation Maggie, one thing for example you may focus on is the long loving marriage you had.  And I believe I am speaking for us all when I say you will not be dying alone, because you have us.  We are standing with you."

In the next moment Maggie and I were suddenly being smothered with hugs.  We all were in tears but THESE were HAPPY TEARS.

After I closed the theatre up we all went to a pizzeria. 
Maggie was radiant.  To suddenly go from being all alone to being embraced with a circle of friends made all the difference. 

And we did all stand by Maggie.  

Soon after our meeting her we had Maggie sitting in a wheelchair with an I.V. in the wings just so she could watch a performance of "Broadway Bound." She was absolutely ecstatic.

Nathan and I were with Maggie when she passed away.  Her last words were, "Thank you.  I love you."

Bright encounters are out there, my dear ones.

"And I think to myself what a wonderful world."










No comments:

Post a Comment