Thursday, February 18, 2021

Ernest Borgnine...

Before I now finally share the story of this friendship I was blessed to have with dear Mr. Borgnine, I shall first briefly tell who he was for those unfamiliar with him.

Think "McHale's Navy" comedy television show during the 1960's and most immediately know exactly who
Mr. Borgnine was.  But he was far more.

Mr. Borgnine was born 24 January 1917 in Hamden, Connecticut.  His parents were both Italian and he had a younger sister.

After he graduated from High School Mr. Borgnine joined the Navy serving six years.  Right after he was discharged though Pearl Harbor happened and he immediately rejoined serving an additional four years in the Navy.

After Mr. Borgnine was discharged and he returned home he didn't know what to do with himself.  Acting wasn't even on his radar then.  He got a job at a factory but realized that wasn't what he wanted to do either.  So Mr. Borgnine's Mother suggested the stage reminding him what a ham he was acting out funny stories he told.  This resonated with him.  He went to a Drama School, then New York, steadily getting work.  All this within ten years time when he found himself on stage accepting the Oscar For Best Actor Of 1955 for the movie "Marty."

From there Mr. Borgnine's career really took off continuing for over sixty years on stage, screen, and television.

"McHale's Navy," running from 1962-1966 became a hit success as it ran and has been in reruns since around the world.

Just before Mr. Borgnine died at age 95 in 2012, he was honoured with a Lifetime Achievement Award where he spoke.  There were many very special things about Mr. Borgnine.  That night he touchingly reminded the many celebrities present how lucky they were to be there.

There was also another very touching thing he often 
did which endeared him to the many working behind 
the scenes in theatre, film, and television most never acknowledge.  Yet Mr. Borgnine always came shining forth as he passionately brought an awareness of us to others.  He knew how in this show business of ours it takes a huge team behind the scenes to make the magic happen...to make the actors shine.

Through the years many of us including myself were very aware of the ways Mr. Borgnine championed the team behind the scenes.  Some of us were especially touched by this actually.

And one of those wrote the man a letter.

I never expected to hear back from Ernie but I wrote it anyway to thank him.  In it I briefly told him about myself being a very TALL 4'3" Theatre Scene Designer who dressed like a hippie with quite a sense of humour, and galloped on horses.  But more importantly I expressed how much his voice on behalf of backstage crews everywhere meant so much to us all.

Well I did receive a letter.  A very dear touching letter.  A letter with a urgent question right off, "How DO you get ON horses, Addy?!!"

So began a friendship by letter.  Then occasional phone calls.  We loved each other's humour and stories.  And we soon discovered we both were hopeless empaths.

We both could not be any different than we were from each other and yet the same.

One of The Eleven of that elite Scene Painting Class I have written about here had been begging me to come visit him in LA.  Finally I had a space of time where I could.

I called Ernie.

"Now look Ernie, I'm coming to LA to visit a Scene Designer I went to school with.  I would love to connect with you for a visit but please don't feel like you have to because I know how busy you ar..."

"WHEN?!!  TELL ME WHEN!  DO YOU NEED A PLACE TO STAY?  HOW SOON ARE YOU COMING?!!"

Ernie definitely wanted to visit!😂

Two times during my visit...on a set and on a beach we talked all about the meaning of life, theatre, Italian food, books, horses, dwarf life, Adelaide 101, Ernie's life.

"I promise I won't ever tell The National Enquirer on 
you, Ernie!"🤣

"Gee thanks, Addy!"😂

 As I watched Ernie accept his Screen Actors' Award when he was 95 I could see his own indomitable spirit shining bright but in a body weakened by age.

We spoke one final time.

"Ernie, thank you for having me along.  I'm so grateful for you and proud of you."

"Addy, the same to you my dear.  You have been such a joy to know.  We'll meet again someday."

And we will.  

Keeping Heaven laughing when we do.😊💫

















No comments:

Post a Comment