Monday, February 8, 2021

Kids Who Conquered...

Arise, go forth and conquer.  ~Tennyson


Never ever underestimate the power of good that eight year olds can do to protect one of their own.

As I have touched on in earlier blogs I have always been blessed with the gift of friends.  Including childhood boyfriends too.  By the time we reached third grade Jordan and I were best friends.  We were serious too.  We often innocently kissed on the lips and THAT my friends is very serious.😂

We were always inventing new games the other kids loved so we had a large circle of friends.  And we would soon need each other to "play a much different game" eight year olds shouldn't have had to "play."

I only ever had one bad teacher and she was BAD.  I mean REALLY bad.  Her name was Miss Peebles and she was old as hell.  Older than dirt.  And mean too.

Miss Peebles apparently did not like children who were different.  And I became her prime target.

The worst most humiliating thing she did aside from her verbal abuse of me was to constantly line us up from tallest to shortest for everything...recess, going to lunch, going to the restroom...everything.  So you can guess who was ALWAYS last, right?😢

What is so amazingly touching is how my classmates responded to this who were aware of what my home situation was like...😱

One day at the merry-go-round where Richard gathered us all he said, "Who doesn't like what Peebles is doing to Adelaide?"  Everyone raised their hands.

"Okay, we've gotta to do something."

"But what?" said Debbie.  "We're just kids."

"Yeah, who's gonna to listen to us?" said Saundra.

 Mike asked, "What if she's a witch?"

We all certainly agreed she was something that rhymed with witch.🙄

Then Jordan had an idea... 

"We're gonna tell our parents and keep telling them till they do something."

"That's right," said Richard.  "Adelaide is our friend and we've gotta help."

WOW...talk about the power of friendship and a bunch of eight year olds who cared for their friend!😃

And they DID all talk to their parents.  Then those parents began talking to the Principal and even the school board.

Since Miss Peebles was supposed to retire after the school year anyway, she was MADE to "retire" far sooner.  A substitute teacher was brought in and 
oh, what a difference!

The most important differences?  NOT lining up from tallest to shortest anymore, and no more mean verbal abuse.😃👍

This could have been another very dark memory of my childhood but it wasn't, you see.  All because my eight year old classmates took a brave stand on my behalf.  

And so THIS is yet another treasure I hold forever in my heart, dear ones.🐎😃🐎💕💫





  

No comments:

Post a Comment