Wednesday, February 24, 2021

When They Ran Into Me...

When working in Theatre one may often meet some of the famous along the way and my life has happened to cross paths with a few...


One year Mikhail Baryshnikov, the amazing ballet star was on tour and came to the performing arts center I worked for.  His performance had long been sold out.

Prior to the performance when life backstage can really get crazy the two of us passed each other.  The first was Baryshnikov and a entourage of people around him while I with brushes in my hands and paint on my face was in a rush.

The second time he was alone and stopped me.  He said, "I could not help but notice you."

I responded with my usual humour by saying, "Oh crap!  Is it because of the paint on my face?!!"

And he burst out laughing.  We briefly chatted then Baryshnikov asked, "Will you be staying for the performance?"

"I plan to watch it from the wings!  Wouldn't miss it for the world!"

And I was there.

After Baryshnikov's performance he was given roses and more than one standing ovation.  As the curtains finally fell he gave me a rose saying, "This is for meeting you and THIS is for the paint you still have on your face."  And THAT was a kiss!


Another performer I was so blessed to meet was 
the dear actor Harold Gould.  He starred in many stage, television, and film productions including one of my favorites, "The Sting."  Mr. Gould came 
to town starring in a stage production.

We met backstage when he couldn't find the way 
to his dressing room.  Being a Little Person throws wide open the door for conversations one normally would not get to have.  Mr. Gould said, "I can't help but notice you are a Little Person!"

"Oh REALLY?!!  Is it THAT noticeable?!!"

He laughed quite hard.

Then we had the nicest conversation.  It turns out he also loved horses.  As soon as he learned about mine he asked, "How DO you get ON your horse?!!"  (I am asked this SO much if I ever write a book that question should be the title)😂

After the performance we had coffee and a very delightful conversation together in his hotel lounge talking about life, dreams, art, "The Sting," and horses before going our separate ways.


The next person I am going to share here is someone most of you may have never heard of, however, those who know theatre will know of this incredible lady, Betty Comden.  

Ms. Comden's writing partnership with Adolph Green was the longest one in theatre history lasting an astounding six decades.  They provided the lyrics and screenplays to some of the most beloved Hollywood musicals and Broadway shows ever.  "Singing In The Rain" is just ONE of them.

How we met is really funny.  In New York on a crowded street in the Theatre District one day where I was in a Scene Design Workshop there
a lady literally ran right smack into me almost knocking me over.  This happens to Little People 
a lot you see when people not expecting a hooman 
to be way down here will plow right into us.😱

Immediately as she began profusely apologizing I blurted out, "You're Betty Comden!  WOW, it is such a pleasure to meet you!"  Which then shocked the hell out of HER because people usually had no idea what Comden and Green even looked like.  I knew because of my passion for and minor in Theatre History.  I was thrilled to meet her!  Ms. Comden was flattered.

Both of us had a free moment so we went to a nearby coffee shop spending a very delightful time talking theatre, Set Design, art, dreams, poetry, jewelry, horses.  "Dear, if you don't mind me asking how DO you get ON your horse?!!"😂


Though I have met other famous people I am only going to share one more here.  And believe me this is someone known worldwide.  None other than Colonel Harland Sanders himself creator of Kentucky Fried Chicken whose home was close to the farm where I boarded some of my horses.

We first met when he was the Grand Marshall of a 
small town parade close to the farm which my pony and I were riding in.  As soon as The Colonel saw me he rushed over.  He was quite intrigued saying, "Why you're one of those little ones aren't you?"

"Oh crap!  I didn't think it was showing today!"

He got a huge kick out of my humor.

So a few months later one day as I was riding my pony Sadie off farm a limo suddenly pulled up beside us.  It was Colonel Sanders who recognized me because my dwarfism was STILL showing.🤣

"Little One, I told Miss Claudia (his wife) about you and she would just love to meet you.  Can you come on up to our place?  PLEEZE?"

How could I possibly turn The Colonel down?  Sadie and I headed up to their place where The Colonel and Miss Claudia were waiting.  They had been married for decades and clearly adored each other.  And they both had a question they wanted to ask.  "Honey, HOW DO you get ON your horses?"

That became the first of several very delightful visits where we sipped tea and talked.

But knowing how fiercely The Colonel was known for guarding the secret of his very famous Kentucky Fried Chicken recipe I knew better than to EVER dare ask what was in it regardless of how darn 
cute The Colonel said he thought I was.😂

                                   Baryshnikov 


                                   Harold Gould


                             Betty Comden


                         Colonel Harland Sanders 

No comments:

Post a Comment