Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Once Upon A Theatre Rehearsal...

Thankfully THIS theatre moment was one that did NOT unfold before an audience, but during Dress Rehearsal.  For those who may be unfamiliar with theatre lingo, Dress Rehearsal is when the actors wear their actual costumes or clothing for a play for the final rehearsal before Opening Night.


This particular play, "Calvalcade" by Noel Coward was about a very loving couple over a period of time who weathered changes in the world around them including losses.  The two main leads acting in this production, Martina and Simon were actually married to each other.

The rehearsals leading up to Dress Rehearsal went quite well.  However a storm was forming below the surface.  It appeared the young actress playing the lady in love with the "Calvalcade" couple's son, apparently was brazenly being flirtatious with Simon.  Martina, well aware of this didn't appear to be concerned.  At least on the surface.  

Yet there is this very surreal calm where NOTHING stirs just before a tornado wipes a town off the map too!

When Simon and Martina arrived on Dress Rehearsal night, not only were they obviously fighting, they had been drinking!  Not good, not good.😱

So it would be an understatement to say that 
Dan, the play Director suddenly became about as nervous as a cat with a long tail in a room full 
of rocking chairs rocking.🀣

Act I came off well considering everything.

Then...came...Act...II.  When Miss Flirtatious enters.

Now I happened to be in the Scene Shop painting a set for a play the following season.  Way back there I usually couldn't hear what was happening on stage.  But I sure did hear a huge crash!  MY first thought was the unthinkable happened:  that part of my set failed somehow, so I went flying to Stage Right.😱  

I arrived just in time to see Martina hurl a large vase prop at Simon which shattered to pieces as she yelled, "Simon, you son of a b***h!"

"Marty I wasn't being flirtatious back," said Simon, as he dodged a large book.

"I saw you wink at her!"

"I wasn't winking at her!"

"Like hell!"

"Calvalcade" had clearly just descended into "Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?" here.πŸ˜‚

"Marty, do you REALLY think I could fall for HER?!!"

Oh my, Simon was in for it now, because this is when Miss Flirtatious suddenly came out from under the desk she was cowering beneath grabbing a whiskey bottle prop on her way.  As she hurled it at Simon he ducked and the bottle shattered my multiple glass window panes I had painstakingly put in for each of the large windows.😱

At this point Marty turned on Miss Flirtatious.  

"How DARE you!"  As she hurled the coffee table at her and missed, but took out MORE of my windows besides breaking a leg on the coffee table!πŸ₯΄

"STOP!  ALL THREE OF YOU SIT DOWN NOW!"  

If you're wondering WHO said this, I can assure you it was not Dan the Director cowering behind the seats in Row F, nor was it the Stage Manager hiding behind the curtains, or Props, or the Executive Director and Artistic Director both hiding in the wings. 

It...was...ME...standing to my 4'3" full height.πŸ’₯  

You see, when Adelaide's theatre set gets destroyed the night before Opening Night, she becomes a force to be reckoned with!!!πŸ˜‚

All three promptly seated themselves on the couch together when I ordered them to sit down NOW, even appearing to tremble a bit in fear as I stood before them.

"Simon, apologize to Miss Flirtat...I mean, Denise!"

"But I didn't..."

"I don't give a shit.  Apologize."

"Marty, you apologize to Simon and Denise."

"But Adelaide, I...uh...uh...okaaay, I'll apologize."

"Denise, it's your turn."

"Yes mam!  I'm apologizing!"

"Okay, all three of you are setting aside your differences NOW.  You have a show to do tomorrow and you're going to do it well and you're going to be sober doing it.  Right now you're going to finish Dress Rehearsal while I repair the windows and coffee table you broke.  If you're done rehearsing before I get done, you're going to help me finish.  Got it?"

They eagerly nodded in unison.

Simon then announced he had a confession.

"Now?"

"Yes Adelaide, please, because I'm not afraid saying this as long as you are here to protect me."πŸ™„

"Marty honey, I was winking at Dan, not Denise.  I've been too afraid to come out.  No more.  I'm gay Marty.  Dan and I are in love.  This doesn't mean I won't continue to love you...it just means things will be different.  We will be happier.  Please, I need to know my sweet angel, if you will support me in this."

At first she was silent.  For an eternity. 

"Simon, honey, I think deep down inside I've always known this.  We haven't been happy or fulfilled for years, you know?  I really want you to be happy, I sincerely do.  I will be happy too.  I believe this change will be good for us both.  And you know what else?  I'm very proud of you!"πŸ’–

"I am too, Simon." I said.

After everyone felt it was safe enough to venture out of their hiding places, we gave them a rousing round of applause as tears filled our eyes, because we were all profoundly touched by what just happened. 

Then everyone suddenly turned toward me and gave me a standing ovation.  Even now all these years later my eyes are filled with heartwarming tears by what happened on stage that night.  

It was powerful.  It was shared.  And oh, was it 
ever magic.πŸŽ­πŸ’«














No comments:

Post a Comment