Saturday, January 23, 2021

Akio...

Not long before I left Maryland with Patches in tow for a small theatre as Set Designer for what I knew would be my last season and final move as my health rapidly deteriorated, a magical encounter happened.  One clearly meant to happen.

An Japanese actor in a production I did the set for and I became friends.  Miko had been in the U.S. with his family for several years after they moved to Maryland as his parents were educators.

It was not long before I became close with them all.  Especially Miko's grandfather, Akio.  Now Akio knew as much English as I knew Japanese which was zilch.  But sometimes when a special friendship is meant to be, not even a language barrier gets in the way.

For you see Akio was an artist who rendered beautiful pieces in Japanese ink, having learned from his father and grandfather.  Sadly though neither his son or grandson had any interest in being taught the ancient techniques.

Then along comes Adelaide who had a passion for Japanese ink drawings of all time periods.  I loved working with Japanese ink.  But because of my work then caring for a horse what I learned came only from books.  To encounter Akio, an artist taught in ancient techniques was thrilling.

I hit it off with Akio the moment we met.

When Miko introduced us, Akio told Miko I was short, which Miko translated to me.  

I responded with laughter in my usual very dignified good behavior by suddenly blurting out, "No shit!"๐Ÿ˜ณ

Well "shit" just happened to be a word in English Akio 
knew, and burst into laughter shocking his family.  He told Miko he thought I had bright sun in me.  So we really hit it off.  Who knew "shit" would be the beginning of a dear friendship?!!๐Ÿ˜‚

The next time I saw Akio I brought an album I threw together to open my life up for him.  I had photos of me in various phases of theatre set construction and scene painting.  Though Akio's family explained what I did, he expressed to them how impressed he was by my work.

Then I showed him my Patches photos.  And guess what?  He asked his family to ask me...drumroll...the question I am asked more than any other, "How does she get ON her horses?!!"  Only in Japanese.

He was impressed.

Akio and his family were about to become more impressed much to my delight, because I showed him my equine art.  And then...AND THEN...my Japanese ink drawings.  Akio's eyes filled with tears. 

When I asked if he would teach me the ancient techniques Akio had tears pouring down his cheeks.
Now it was my turn to be touched.  He agreed.  Even said it would be an honour!  Soon we all had tears.

So began the odyssey of teacher and student.  All because the only word of English Akio knew was "shit."

The wise teacher and eager student were on our own for the ancient technique sharing.  But you see the sharing of art transcends language.  Especially when there is passion involved.  For nearly four months we
painted together.  Then apparently my dear teacher who was in his eighties sensed his time to cross over was near as he was busy with the help of his son preparing a large wooden box for the "no shit" friend and student he treasured having as much as I did Akio.

After Akio crossed peacefully in his sleep, Miko and his parents had me over.  Said they had something very special to present me with.  But first Akio's son wanted me to know how much I had brightened his father's life...how grateful Akio was for my eagerness to learn.

Until then, I did not know, but Akio referred to me as "the little Samurai," because he felt my indomitable spirit.  And he believed anyone as little as me galloping on the barebacks of horses had to have the courage of the Samurai.

In the wooden box were Akio's brushes of all sizes handed down for generations, as well as pens made out of various woods to be dipped in ink too.  There were bottles and bottles of the finest ink made in Japan.  Also included were the finest papers made by hand 
for ink.

And finally, something to me, more special than all...a heavy Samurai Horse two centuries old made out of sterling silver and pewter.  The arch of the neck of this horse has been worn smooth as you will soon see.  

Why?

Because it has been believed by rubbing the neck one will be smiled upon, able to win the battles to be fought.
Akio believed I needed all the help I could get in fighting mine.

I have three drawing/art tables.  On one is where I keep this special and very treasured Samurai Horse.  He proudly stands with his arched neck worn smooth with the hands of those who came before me.  Since he is where I take my forty-seven pills each day, we spend a lot of time together. 

And always, my fingers reach out to rub the neck as I remember a Samurai who came before me who passed along his art to his eager student and so much more.






















No comments:

Post a Comment