Thursday, January 14, 2021

This...Is What I Do...

Webster's definition of adapt is to bring one thing into correspondence with another; modification or yielding to changing circumstances; bringing into harmony.

There is no other way to sugar coat it.  Life as a Little Person is really tough at times.  For some Little People far worse than others, as I have tried to share what many others go through physically compared to me.  

Little People live with pain, have physical deformities, encounter terrible meanness, ridicule, and our images rudely taken on cellphones each time we leave our homes.  I have even had these non-humans show up 
AT THE WINDOWS OF MY HOME TRYING TO CAPTURE MY IMAGE OF ME ON THEIR CELLPHONES.  Here in the U.S. these photos can then be uploaded to disgusting websites just for the purpose of ridicule on a massive scale.  Obviously without our consent for to them we're just an object.  Our humanity does not matter in their eyes.  And this really sucks.

One thing I refuse to do on my journey of encountering this crap is not lower myself to THEIR level.  For you see I learned MANY years ago if I dared to give these non-humans the finger or deliver an F-Bomb their ridicule became worse.  Or THEY would become enraged because I had the audacity to respond to them with THEIR level of disrespect!  How dare I not remain in place as being the scum OBJECT of their ridicule!

Besides, lowering myself to their level makes me feel I am standing in their shit.  So I prefer to keep out of their shit by walking TALL and remaining silent embracing the fact they DO NOT HAVE THE POWER TO BREAK MY SPIRIT.  Yes it's hard but there really is no other way to deal with these non-humans.  And these days it is far too dangerous to confront these non-humans due to the "justified" rage many have now along with the guns they carry.

Prior to my becoming homebound due to the severe deterioration of my health in recent years each time I went to the grocery store and other places my height challenge necessitated my needing to constantly ask other customers in getting down what I needed.  It was/is amazing how much this becomes a blessing to those I ask for their help.

So often people are deep in their own thoughts and worries then suddenly there is someone cheerfully asking for their help who obviously has worse problems than they do.  Their faces suddenly light up.  Many times I have been told how nice it was for them to be needed.  And when I have had to ask someone for help who was not that much taller than me THEY really delighted in the fact they ran into someone shorter than themselves who THEY could help!  You wouldn't believe all the wonderful, positive, inspiring interactions with people I have had while shopping! 

However, over the years though I have learned there are many Little People who absolutely refuse to ask for help when they can't reach what they need.  Even with people standing right there offering to help these individuals climb on the shelves and merchandise, knocking stuff over to get what they need.

I cannot agree with this method.  Their "I can do this myself" pride is one reason they do it.  Proving one is not helpless is another.  Yet because these are taken to such extremes I believe their reasons loudly backfire.  And on us all.

I have had average height people ask me what they should do when they encounter a shelf climbing Little Person in action.  If they refuse to ask for help let them be and go your way.  It's sad though because there are not many Little People out there to begin with.  Which is why I try to inspire and educate every chance I get, even in a grocery store because we don't get many of these chances anyway.  So if average height people have a one time encounter with a rude, stubborn, or negative Little Person their impression is we ALL must be like that too when we're obviously not.  This is why I have always taken my Public Relations work for us very seriously.๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Anyway tall-lies often forget WE are living in a world not made for us, that we constantly must struggle to adapt ourselves into.  Many must use hand controls to drive or pedal extensions.  Though I am "tall" enough to reach the pedals without extensions I am required to use them.  I don't mind.  We adapt.  Motion sensors are another thing as I have shared in a funny blog here.  We are still trying to adapt to these.๐Ÿ˜‚

And our homes have LOTS of stools.  I just counted NINE in use.  In a one bedroom apartment.  Stools are quite necessary.๐Ÿคฃ  Not only that, but all my kitchen cupboards up above are as HIGH as Mount Everest and are EMPTY.  So are the upper shelves in my closets.  We adapt.  We HAVE to adapt.๐Ÿค”

Dwarfism is especially tough with the unending physical challenges we endure.  Like many my long arm and leg bones did not grow normally.  However, I/we carry the same muscle mass squeezed and jammed around our long bones as an average size person has.  Think of this.  I am 4'1" but have the same muscle mass as a 5' 7-9" woman.  Having this huge amount of muscle jammed around my short long bones causes pain both neurologically and arthritically, besides not having cartilage.  This is not even counting the severe spine pain I live with.  My spinal cord inflammation disease has all but shut my bladder, stomach, and colon down.  The pain and nausea are severely worsening from the complications and infections.  This part of my dwarfism is tough.

Yet I still keep pouring all the love, gratitude, harmony, courage, humor, and fighting spirit into my world as I always have.  For you see even though my shattered body dwells in a world it doesn't fit in nothing will ever break this indomitable spirit of mine.๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐ŸŽ





No comments:

Post a Comment