Sunday, May 2, 2021

So Just How DO You Get ON Your Horse?!!

If I ever write a book the title should be what so many people ask me immediately after they hear I own and ride horses, which is...drumroll please...the infamous question of, "How DO you get ON your horse?"  Often it is then followed by, "How DO you STAY on?"  

You see I tried saddles but I had more trouble staying on WITH a saddle, both English and Western, than I ever did riding bareback.  With short legs and all the leather, even using stirrups I would pop up (and off) like a cork when I gripped with my horses looking at me like I was crazy which they are very good at doing.  Besides, I love to feel at one when riding my horses anyway, which I feel when riding bareback.  And I STAY on.  Well for the most part anyway.😂

So back to the how I GET on.  I had such a bond with all my horses they were very understanding of the fact that when it came time for me to get ON them, they had to stand next to something.  

Usually I would lead them next to my car, climb on the hood of the car, make a flying leap through the air most of the time successfully landing on their backs.  But horses cannot always be depended upon to stand perfectly still for more than ten seconds so I would need to act quite fast you see, yet now and then this could happen with hilarious results.  I cannot begin to tell you how many times I would propel myself a bit too hard and go sailing right OVER their backs to the ground and then REALLY get that certain crazy look.  Trust me, horses can be very expressive in conveying exactly what it is they are thinking, like how their close to the ground size hooman must be crazy for always leaping into the air from car hoods, fallen trees, fences or whatever else was available, hoping to land upon their back.🤣

Now dismounting was always easier...well, most of the time.  Usually I would slide off and successfully drop to the ground...uh, kind of now and then on my feet but quite often right smack on my rear which I did actually manage to perfect with considerable aplomb over the years.😂

Horses can at times be very unpredictable too.  For sometimes without any warning to their owner on their back they may decide to stop and I mean SUDDENLY.  When this happened I would often hilariously go head first sliding all the way down their neck and be deposited nicely on the ground...if I was lucky.  Most of the time though my flying way up high into the air a bit before reaching the Earth, again with considerable aplomb.  Yet I came to the conclusion decades ago my horses did this purely for their own amusement.🤣

By the way all these "events" I am describing would beautifully, brilliantly happen without incident...almost soom of the time.  However that one moment when the "event" happened without any brilliance would be THE VERY EXACT MOMENT an audience could be present.  As in a audience casting their full attention upon this Little Lady dressed like a hippie climbing onto the hood of her car mind you, to throw herself high into the air right OVER the backs of her horses to land on the other side of them with her amazing aplomb before losing herself into such hysterical laughter the audience would too and forget all about how the Little Lady sailed OVER her horse rather than ONTO her horse.🤣

Sooo, now my dear ones you know the ways this Little Person got on her horses, and the very many amazing creative ways she managed to also "exit" all her horses too, who by the way are all below.  

Following all my leaps through the air getting on them through the decades, we soared without wings a thousand times as one.  And I will love them forever.

SADIE
                                   MIDNIGHT
                                         SELAH
RACHEL
                                    BASHUM
                                  HAVILLA
                                      PATCHES



No comments:

Post a Comment