Monday, May 10, 2021

The Drought When I Nearly Lost Patches...

During Patches' first summer Kentucky was suffering from a long devastating drought.  My feed store kept me in alfalfa hay for him though, which got him through such a critical time.  However, Patches had a very serious problem necessitating emergency surgery at the worse possible time.  

Normally he would have been gelded (neutered) in late fall or winter when flies have gone and when he was older.  But the problem Patches had would soon compromise his urinary function placing him in a life threatening situation.  There was no choice but to geld him right smack in the midst of a horribly dusty fly ridden intensely hot drought summer.

We had to do it in a flat area of a dried up pasture.  Dr. Stone and his assistant first injected Patches with a dose of anesthesia, then I walked him in a circle.  As soon as he began wobbling the assistant was ready with a sterile sheet.  

Just as Patches began going down the sheet was placed under him.  Then he was injected with a little more anesthesia.  As Dr. Stone went to work, I remained at Patches' head protecting his eyes from the sun and flies.

By the time the last stitch was put in, Patches began waking up.  Horses are flight animals, so when scared they want to get away even if they can barely stand.  They become terrified by the effects of the anesthesia, so keeping them from injuring themselves is critical during this dangerous time.

I began rubbing Patches' head hard as I kept talking to him.  For a few moments I had to really hold onto him as he tried to get away by staggering off.  I kept talking and making him look at me.  Gradually his eyes came back into focus, and I could see he was beginning to recognize me.  Suddenly he began rubbing his head up and down against me very hard.  Patches was going to be all right.

Dr. Stone who had known me for quite some time, said, "You know, Adelaide, it never ceases to amaze me the bond you have with your horses...especially this little one.  How did you two come together?"

So I told him the amazing story of how Patches, the tiny three month old "dangerous runt" bound for slaughter and I came together, immediately forging a very deep bond.

"Wow.  What a powerful story!  You really should write about this, you know?"

"Maybe I will someday.  Our journey has only just begun."🙃

Eighteen months later Patches and I did The Ride, and thousands soon took us into their hearts.  Dr. Stone was the vet who came and did the paperwork we needed in order to cross state lines.

"You really need to write this story now, promise?"

"Don't worry, I will!  I promise!"  

And I am as best I can in this blog legacy.  

Maybe it took years before I could, but I kept my promise to dear Dr. Stone who has lived to see it happen.🐎😃🐎💫

              Patches as a foal.  Two months after this 
                   photo he had the emergency surgery. 






No comments:

Post a Comment