Tuesday, January 18, 2022

Those Labels...

As I have touched on before, ever since I held a crayon in my art my horses are all free, without halters, bridles, and fences.  It didn't take long for me to understand the deep meaning as to why.  As a Little Person with a HUGE spirit or force of life bursting from within, I have always had to strive to break free of definitions placed upon me, and all of us.  

We become defined by our physical appearance, where we live, what we believe, our race, sexual preference, wealth, on and on.  As I continue writing today on The Label as it has affected MY life, I am writing on behalf of all who are affected by The Labels. 🏷

This morning the song, "I Am Woman," was playing.  Suddenly I was reminded of The Labels. 🏷  For when I have played the song on the piano somewhere, or mentioned it, I will get, "Now wait a minute, YOU are a LITTLE woman though."  

"What?!!  WHY CAN'T I BE JUST A WOMAN TOO?!!" 

After all, I was engaged to a wonderful, HANDSOME 5'11" man who fell in love with me for being an amazing WOMAN who changed his life, for he had despaired of ever finding the woman of his dreams.  I just happened to be packaged in a unique body HE thought beautiful.  Actually he loved my sense of humor too.  And oh, did I love him.  (For anyone new Aiden died in an accident just before we married, however I still wear the rings and always will).πŸ’•

I have often shared how as soon as I leave my home, I encounter the RUDE, mean Label Givers, and have all my life.  To Little People the word midget is as deeply offensive to us as the "N" word is to African Americans.  Yet many could care less.  It is the more insidious, demeaning Label aspect I/we endure.  Though I have refused to let it define me.  If I did, I never would have become who I am.

Many years ago I spoke to a very nice lady (on the phone at least) about an apartment she had for rent.  She was quite impressed with my job and the fact I also owned a horse.  Was keen to meet and show the apartment to me.  When she opened the door to have Adelaide standing before her, she immediately changed.  SCREAMED at me, "What gives YOU the right to rent my apartment, you MIDGET!!!"  And slammed the door in my face.πŸ˜–  

I have never had a problem getting a job...that is, until I changed my tactics when I was young.  I quickly found if I mentioned to interested theatres that I was a Little Person on the phone BEFORE meeting them, even though highly qualified the set design position could suddenly become UNAVAILABLE.  So I quit playing The Label game by NOT saying a thing about being height challenged on the phone.  No more problems ever getting work.  Especially after I became known for my talent. 

When I was sought after as a speaker, it was because I was known as being a powerful speaker who inspired.  The Little Person negativity Label didn't even exist in people's minds.

Obviously I am physically a Little Person, there is no denying this.  However, it's when "Little Person" morphs into societies' Label with all its negativity, that IT becomes dehumanizing.  And THIS is the problem with what The Labels🏷 are.  The humanity with respect is lost.  That is, aside from the part of society who is NOT concerned with these insidious Labels.

Unless The Labels 🏷 ever change, it is up to us who are Labelled to become strong in self πŸ™Œ respect, to love and to believe in ourselves.  And to also be darn sure we have those around us who embrace us free of Labels.

One thing for certain though, in my whole life, I have never ever had ANYONE say anything negative about me when I am on or with one of my horses!  No Labels there!  

And THAT is sweet...oh, so sweet, because my horses always break me free.πŸŽπŸ˜ƒπŸŽπŸ’«















No comments:

Post a Comment