Saturday, March 20, 2021

The Magic...

Sometimes if we just put ourselves out there the most amazing things can be ours to treasure.


Since the 1800's if one has a way with horses here in Kentucky they are referred to as having "The Magic."  Today this is now often referred to as one being a "horse whisperer."


Without a doubt I knew there was Magic between my horses and I but it wasn't until I met Secretariat and shown in a very extraordinary way I really had Magic with other horses too.  Even very famous ones.

Secretariat was indeed a racing legend, winning the 1973 Triple Crown of American horse racing shattering records in all three of the Triple Crown races that year.  However it was the way he won the Belmont that made him a legend.  He won by an astounding 31 lengths!  It was unbelievable then and still is now, for quite often horse races are won by noses and necks.  Not an astounding 31 lengths!

After Secretariat retired from racing he came to the beautiful Claiborne Horse Farm in Bourbon County Kentucky.  Many MANY came to see him through the years before he became seriously ill in 1989 with the extremely painful hoof inflammation disease known as laminitis and had to be put down.  So at age nineteen Secretariat galloped away leaving all who loved him in his dust a final time. 

Several years after he retired my NYC friend Annie and 
I made the journey to see him one day.  About twenty others were there too and we got in line.  A semi-retired staff member was there to make sure all went well. 

And he really needed to be there this day for Secretariat did not appear in any mood to have visitors come to his stall.  He was throwing his ears back and trying to take a bite out of each person who stood before him hoping to just touch him!

My turn came.  Suddenly he pricked his ears forward immediately leaning over his stall door, then lowered his head to my level!  I began stroking his forehead and rubbing beneath his cheekbones which horses love as he closed his eyes.  This is the moment when the staff member exclaimed in awe, "Why...you...you have The Magic!"

I could only nod as I had a huge lump in my throat and tears in my eyes because something very special was clearly happening here.

Since others were waiting to see Secretariat too I had 
to move on.  I whispered, "thank you," to him, kissed his forehead and slowly moved away.  

As soon as the poor lady next in line moved before him, he suddenly jerked his head up, threw his ears back and lunged trying to take a bite out of her, continuing to do the same with the rest. 

While Annie and I were trying to take in what had just happened we saw the staff person telling other Farm employees what he had just witnessed by pointing my way and exclaiming, "She's the one who has The Magic!  You should have seen it!"  

No one even mentioned I was a Little Person but only that I had The Magic!

It took Secretariat to show me in a most amazing way I not only had The Magic with my own horses but even with him.  And this was indeed a gift to be treasured.

When you put yourselves out there you will find a world awaiting you with bright treasures.  

And sweet, sweet Magic too!🐎💫












No comments:

Post a Comment