Thursday, May 21, 2020

Horse bit...

Here is a very funny story NOW, but to me back THEN, I was not amused.  

During one of my many long hospital stays, I had asked my friends Bob and Tom to visit the farm to check on my pony Sadie.  That was all they had to 
do.  "What could possibly go wrong?" I thought.  But you see, one day things did not quite happen as planned, and they screwed up.  I mean they ROYALLY screwed up.

Since Bob and Tom knew Sadie could pull a cart, they had what THEY thought was a very bright idea one day.  Only I didn't own a cart nor did I like them because I wanted to be ON my horses, not behind them!  However I did have Sadie's cart harness which came with her.  Unfortunately, the guys knew where the harness was kept.

So they decided to make a two wheel cart.  They were really very proud of themselves too.  In fact they thought what they built was brilliant.  Truly, a state of art pony cart.  

Somehow the very inexperienced Bob and Tom managed to get the harness 
on Sadie, so they told me later...and attached it to this brilliant state of art homemade cart the two were so proud of.  Perhaps it really might have worked too, who knows?  But one of them had the ridiculous bright idea to shake a huge, very LOUD old cowbell one could hear in the next county, to get Sadie moving.

Oh, she moved all right.  She absolutely went FLYING!  Neither the state of art cart nor the harness survived.  What remained on Sadie, got caught around a tree, which not only stopped her but brought her to her knees until she could be extracted.  Thankfully though, SADIE was fine.

The cart was NOT fine, ending up in many pieces.  One of the wheels was never seen again.  And the guys?

Since they knew I would be hearing about this they decided to hurry up and visit me before news could reach me, to confess.  Uh, that is once they got out of the emergency room of the exact hospital I was in upstairs.  So imagine my surprise when Bob and Tom entered my room, with Bob's arm broken in a cast and sling.  Tom's ankle was broken and in a cast too, besides being on crutches.

At first I was very upset they both were injured in some terrible way.  And then, AND THEN, they told me, beginning first to quickly assure me Sadie was fine.  Hearing THIS, my compassion level for them suddenly dropped.  Hearing the rest, it PLUMMETED.  For a few moments I wanted to throttle them.  And they were scared too.  But admitted how very grateful they both were I couldn't get out of the bed to break any of their other bones.🥴

Realizing they obviously had suffered enough, and would surely have the scars to carry with them always, I couldn't help but to begin laughing.  And laughing so hard tears were running down my cheeks.  We all three did.  In fact we have laughed about this brilliant endeavor of theirs for many years now.  

One thing for certain though...those two knew better than to try using one of my horses for one of their bright ideas again.🤣





No comments:

Post a Comment