Monday, June 22, 2020

Appreciating another...

As I have often shared in previous blogs, I have been blessed with many who became very dear.  From early childhood, then later when three teachers dear to me as a struggling teen living a nightmare at home, took my hand and poured their hearts and wisdom into me. Then, the dear mentor friends who entered my young life, each giving me a powerful gift of learning and love I have passed on here.  And the many dear friends my whole journey.

One gift I had even at such a young age, which yet burns bright, is knowing how to tell others what they mean, by letting them know my immense gratitude for them, and telling each one how wonderful they were/are.  For you see, we never know which way the wind may blow tomorrow, when we may not get to express our appreciation and love to those we hold dear.  With as many I have lost along the way, I am so grateful I had nailed down grasping the importance of this at such a young age, by telling others what they mean while they are alive to hear me express it.  For what are expressions of appreciation after one is gone who cannot hear them?  My friend Nora used to always say in her speaking engagements touching on this, "Give those flowers of appreciation BEFORE the funeral."

Not long ago a friend of mine came across a old box filled with letters from the 1870's to 1940's.  We spent a day reading these treasures, deeply moved by them.  There was a common thread running through them, by letting others know how much they cared, reassurances things would get better, belief in others surmounting situations, and most of all, telling each other how wonderful they are, and how appreciated.  Most of all, loved.

We no longer write letters on paper or send cards these days.  Nor are we taking the time to tell others what they mean to us, and to thank them for being on the journey of life with us.  So many times after I have sent a card or letter, I hear how much my words came at a time when needed most.  Knowing one is held in loving appreciation can go a long way...for both the recipient and the sender.

As I have often expressed here, what remains from all we are, is the love we lived, dear ones.  Now more than ever, write your flowers of love and appreciation to those who have made/make a difference in your life, past, present, near or far.  Give your flowers before the winds blow the chance away.


No comments:

Post a Comment