Thursday, June 18, 2020

Knowing the moment...

Though I majored in Theatre Scene Design, part of the curriculum also involved taking an Acting course, Costuming, Light Design, and Stage Management classes too, so one had a broad sense of Theatre.  Acting majors had to do this as well.  It actually turned out I was a damn good actress.  And I wasn't a bad Lighting Designer either.  But for me, Theatre Set Design is where my heart was and always has been.💕

However, there is a very important thing we were taught in acting, and that is knowing the moment.  The knowing when to act or not to act moments in our lives.  Which actually ties in with some of my past blogs on my plunging forth, and hopefully not backwards risk making decisions I have had to make.  

We all have them...the moments of decision.  Yet sometimes we plunge forth, only the timing isn't right.  Then if we wait for the right timing, the moment goes sailing right by us.  If an actor misses the cue, or isn't prepared, the whole play can flop.  So just knowing there is a moment that is The Moment is the first step of learning when to act or not.👍

Next, one should never ever plunge forth into a moment of action when we are in the midst of negative emotions such as anger, envy, impatience, fear, or resentment.  Hold on and wait.🙂

Remember everything happening now determines the future.  So step back a moment and take a deep breath.  Try to gauge the probabilities of this decision or that one.  The same timing vital to show business is vital to our decision making whether we act or not.  Good timing in the present affects what follows.👍

In my recent blog, "A story of compassion," I touched on the story about my second spine surgery the week before Christmas, which everything went wrong during the surgery...not the fault of my surgeon, and I was paralyzed.  Thankfully though, there was still movement in my toes, and with my determination and a hard won battle, I again learned to walk over time.  What I didn't touch on, was 
why I made the decision to have the surgery done the week of Christmas in the first place.  This was major spine surgery.  Even if everything had gone right, I was 
still going to be in hospital well beyond the New Year holiday too.

In theatre, decisions are made on which productions will be done a year in advance or longer.  Sets are typically begun in the spring or sooner, for the following new season beginning in the fall of that year.  Usually the busy Christmas Season is the slow time for the designers.  Wanting to lose as little time as necessary from my work, I had to make a critical decision for what was best.  

I had another concern though.  Winters can be very unpredictable.  There was my dear Patches who at that time was only six months old.  During that same year we were in a severe drought, but I was bringing him through it.  I weighed everything.  Talked with other boarders.  As well as both the Executive Director and Artistic Director of the theatre I was working for then.

I realized I needed to work to support Patches, my cat, and myself.  And I certainly did not want to let my theatre down either.  After talking to my fellow boarders, they assured me Patches would be taken care of for me as needed during the winter.  So my doctor and I went with Christmas week to do the spine surgery.

It took me three months to get from walker to cane.  And to six months without a cane.  By the time sets needed to be prepared for the following season, I was able to do them, even while still using the cane at first.

Had I rushed into my decision emotionally, I would have based my decision on putting Patches first, even though others would look after him.  But I didn't because I made myself step back and weigh everything before I acted.  I knew my moment.😃

We have to be patient listening to and trusting in our instincts with knowing the moment.  Patience is not easy, I know.  Especially when faced with huge decisions.  Yet what is patience but wisdom and self control.

Knowing The Moment takes stepping outside of ourselves TO know The Moment and focus.  This is what actors do.

This is also what a Little Set Designer learned to do on her journey too.😃






























No comments:

Post a Comment