Wednesday, August 12, 2020

My galloping art journey...

[Reader note:  at the end of this, are a few of my art prints, including the one in the photo of myself and my print, "Only The Strong Survive," taken for a art magazine piece years ago.  All are copyrighted.]


Besides the dwarfism, I was born with three other things:  a deep abiding passion for horses, art, and a indomitable spirit.  From an early age I began putting horses on paper.  But NEVER any bridles, halters, or fences though.  Just free, galloping horses...always.

Perhaps this may have something to do with living in such a challenging body.🐎😃🐎

When I was seventeen a art gallery asked to represent me...the youngest ever at the time.  The gallery also sponsored my first print series...ahem...wait for it:  of 
a galloping horse!🐎😂🐎  

Soon my story featured in a newspaper the first time.  Unbelievable.  I was being focused on, NOT because I was a Little Person, but because of my talent.  To me, this was incredibly awesome.

So I was all stoked to major in art in college.  Only the advisor told me we artists should major in something 
else more dependable.  I then chose the other passion of mine:  Theatre!  What could be more dependable than Theatre, right?!!😂

Actually, I majored in Theatre Set Design, which tends 
to be a bit more dependable than the acting realm.  Set Design, like painting on huge canvas and wood flats, before the amazing computer graphics came along.  Besides, majoring in Set Design involved art classes too!😃

However, school kept getting interrupted by spine surgeries, learning to walk again twice, cancer battles, supporting myself, a horse, and all that stuff.  Nevertheless, I persevered until I finished.😃

Somehow I managed to forge ahead with six art print series over the years too, which all did quite well.  Received more recognition in newsprint and a local magazine.  Even a bit of national and international recognition too!

Each of the prints actually sold well!  Nothing to live on by any means, but hey, MY equine artwork, including paintings were SELLING!🐎😃🐎 

Again, my art journey is like the rest of my journey, 
by always taking a deep breath and plunging forth.  Plunging forth is having the courage to try.  It isn't 
easy, especially for those living with challenges.

If you can, read Tom Sullivan's book, "If You Can See What I Hear."  Mr. Sullivan was born blind, but has lived life to the fullest.  I was blessed to read his book when I was a teenager.  One of the things Mr. Sullivan wrote, and I am paraphrasing here...is to remember, we who are physically challenged can gain so much, because people notice us.  This has been so amazingly true for me.😃

For instance, at art shows people see a Little Person 
with these equine horse prints.  We Little People are 
not exactly seen very often, so guess which table 
people come to the most?  Not only am I making sales, above all else, I do my utmost to hopefully open the window of acceptance for all of us just a bit more.👍

Plunge forth with courage.  For the world awaits you, my dear ones.🐎😃🐎


















No comments:

Post a Comment