Thursday, August 20, 2020

What I learned by age three...

In the late 1980's, a charming inspirational book, "All I Really Need To Know, I Learned In Kindergarten," by Robert Fulghum (who I actually met once at a theatre), came out becoming a #1 Bestseller.  At the beginning he shares a list of things we learn, which I will share below, and then my own special list.  Of course we all can come up with things to add to a list too.

Long before I ever got to the kindergarten age, I had learned a lot.  I learned swear words.  You see my parents fought a lot and partied a lot.  And swore A WHOLE LOT.  

So being the VERY receptive and talented three year old child I was, those words became MY vocabulary too.  How could they not?  I heard them constantly.

My babysitter, Mrs. Cassity, was an older lady I loved, who kept children in her home during the day.  Since swear words were a regular part of my vocabulary, they came out no matter where I was...but never to be mean or anything like that.  If my wooden block tower suddenly fell down, I would calmly say, "Oh f**k, I'll have to do it all again."

Or, if a crayon broke, I would say, "Oh s$$t, my crayon just broke."  And if it was raining, I would say, "D**n, it's raining."  Now and then I would tearfully share with Mrs. Cassity, "My Mommy and Daddy had another BIG f**king fight last night and I couldn't sleep.  Please can't I come live here?"

Thankfully Mrs. Cassity understood I was only repeating the words I lived with and did not punish me, which would have been very confusing for a three year old as to why I was being punished for words I heard all the time.🥴 

She would instead let my father have it when he came to pick me up!🤣

By the time I was four she had gently, lovingly helped me understand the words were not nice words a child should say.  No doubt that dear lady kept me from being kicked out of kindergarten later!😂

Mr. Fulghum said, "All I really need to know about how to live I learned in kindergarten..."

"Share everything.
Play fair.
Clean up your mess.
Don't take things that are not yours.
Say you're sorry if you need to.
Wash your hands.
Flush the toilet.
Warm cookies and cold milk are good for you.
Live a balanced life...learn some, think some, draw and paint and sing and dance and play and work some.
Take a nap every afternoon.
When you go out into the world, hold hands, and stay together.
Be aware of wonder.  Remember the little seed in a cup...we are all like that.
And remember the first word you learned...LOOK."

Now here is Adelaide's "version..."😃

Be nice to others.
Horses are good for you.
Play.
And laugh.
Include others.
Don't stare at others.
Remember to be thankful.
Swear words are not nice even if you hear them lots.
Big people fighting is scary.
Finding love is good.
Animals don't care what you look like.
Walk tall even if you're not.
Horses are good for you.
Never lose wonder.
Having aplomb is a good thing.
You're never too old for crayons.
Read books.
Draw.
Smile at others...you will make them happy.
Gaze at the stars above.
Plunge forth and not back.
Have courage.
Love life.
Be kind to all.
Give hugs.
Dance.
Love music.
Horses are good for you.


















No comments:

Post a Comment