Monday, September 14, 2020

Appreciating...

As I have often shared in previous blogs, I have been blessed with many who became very dear.  From early childhood, then later when living a nightmare at home, three teachers took my hand pouring their hearts and encouragement into me.  Then, the dear mentor friends who entered my young life, each giving me powerful gifts of learning and love I have passed on here.  And the many dear friends throughout my whole journey since, now including my Twitter family as I had to become homebound in recent years.  And you, my readers.

One gift I had even at a very young age, which yet burns bright, is expressing my gratitude for others.  For you see, we never know which way the wind may blow tomorrow, when we may not get to express our appreciation to those we are grateful for.  

With as many dear to me I have lost along my way, I am so grateful I had nailed down the importance of this at such a young age, by expressing my appreciation to others or telling them what they mean while they are alive to hear me express it.  For what are words of appreciation after one is gone who cannot hear or read them?  And to know how much they mattered?

My dear friend Nora would often say in her speaking engagements concerning this very topic, "Give your flowers of appreciation BEFORE the funeral, not after someone you cared about has gone."🌺

Not long ago a friend of mine came across a very dusty old box filled with letters from the 1870's to 1940's.  We spent hours reading all these treasures,  profoundly moved by them. 

You see there was a common thread running through these letters, by telling others how much they cared, reassurances things would get better, belief in others surmounting situations, and most 
of all, just telling each other how wonderful they are, how appreciated, or loved.

Even if we no longer write letters on paper or send cards these days (though we should), we still can express our gratitude to others on social media, and take the time to tell others what they mean to us.  To thank them for being on the journey of life with us.  Or to just simply express our appreciation for their kindness.  

So many times after I have sent a card or letter, or expressed myself online, I often hear how much 
my words have meant.  For you see sometimes just  knowing one is held in appreciation can mean everything, because we're saying they matter.πŸ’«

As I have often expressed here, what remains from all we are is the love we live, dear ones.  Now more than ever, write your flowers of appreciation or love to those who matter to you near or far.  Share your flowers before the hands of time may forever take the chance away.  

For believe me, the treasure will be theirs.  And it will be yours too.πŸŒΊπŸ’•πŸ’«

No comments:

Post a Comment