Friday, September 18, 2020

Little Peon...

First, Little Peon was actually a racehorse.  Second, close friends have often affectionately referred to me by the same name.  And yes, trust me, there is a story here...🐎😃🐎

Thirty-six years ago I was working at a little theatre owned by a company which also owned other theatres across the country.  One weekend our Executive Director had to suddenly be away which happened to be the very same weekend the owner of the whole theatre corporation was coming into town for meetings the following week.  Soooo, it fell upon myself and the Artistic Director, Sam, to show Bob the town all weekend.🙃

So Sam and I very carefully planned out a itinerary of museums, concerts, and the kinds of things we thought Bob would like to see.

However, when Sam and I picked Bob up at the airport, he shot our careful planning all to hell!  Bob wanted to get out and have some fun!  Believe me, museums and concerts DEFINITELY were not on Bob's itinerary!🤔

Of course I would ask, "Have you ever been to horse races?  Would you like to spend time at the track first?"

"Yes!  That's it, Adelaide!  I've never been to a horse race before!  Let's do it!"👍

So we got to the track in time for the second race.  But first Sam and I had to give Bob a crash course in how best to pick horses and place a bet.

Bob had beginners luck by choosing a horse we suggested, and he won!  Bob went crazy with excitement!😃

As I was looking to see who was running in the third race, I saw there was a horse running named...and I'm not kidding...Little Peon, who was a HUGE longshot.  Not expected to win at all.  No way.  Was a very small horse.  

So I immediately placed a $2 bet on him.  The guys thought I was crazy, and they bet on other horses.

As the horses proceeded down the backstretch, the announcer shouted, "LITTLE PEON IS THIRD!"

In the turn, "I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS, FOLKS!  LITTLE PEON IS NOW SECOND!" 

When the horses entered the homestretch, the announcer went crazy!  He screamed, "LITTLE PEON IS IN THE LEAD, FOLKS!  HE'S POURING IT ON!  OH MY GOSH, LITTLE PEON IS IN THE LEAD NOW BY FIVE LENGTHS!  THIS IS UNBELIEVABLE!  AT THE WIRE IT'S LITTLE PEON BY AN AMAZING FIVE LENGTHS!  Could ANYONE have possibly placed a bet on him?!!"😂

Everyone around me tore up their tickets in disgust as they grumbled.  Not ME!  

Because Little Peon was such a huge longshot, my winning ticket paid a whopping $220.00!  And to me that was a lot of money back then!  My only regret was I hadn't taken a plunge by betting $10!🙃

We remained for several more races, having a blast, with the guys asking my advice before each race, and both having good luck.  Bob said, "I've NEVER had this much fun on one of these trips!"

Oh my, after we left the track, Bob kept Sam and I up until the following morning!  But we sure had fun!  Even more so since Bob was paying for everything!

But at the track, I didn't dare place anymore bets.  I wasn't about to lose my Little Peon windfall!😃

So you see, dear ones, never EVER underestimate 
the power of what a LITTLE PEON is capable of accomplishing...🐎😂🐎💫

No comments:

Post a Comment