Sunday, July 19, 2020

Accepting...

Often in our journeys the most difficult person to accept is ourselves.

As much as I have been filmed, interviewed, spoken to groups of people, and have been photographed in the media on my journey, one would think by now making a video of myself for all of you would have been easy for me to do.  It wasn't difficult because of the dwarfism aspect, as you obviously know I am a Little Person, and you have seen the photos I have shared from an earlier time in my journey with my art and Patches.  The problem I was having was seeing the toll pain, disease, surgeries, and a bit of age have taken on me.  And yes, even a concern you would be revolted.😂

This was the first time I had ever made a video.  And a video of myself.  Just me...talking...and rocking...on this rocker love seat I have.😂  And all without a horse.🤣

When I watched the video the first time though, aside from saying "Um," and "Uh" more than I ever do in normal conversation, I didn't cringe very much.  I didn't even feel the horror of seeing myself as I thought I would.  There were two brief moments when I thought I looked "dwarfy," and reminded myself of this very important following fact:  I...AM...A...DWARF.  So of course I would look a little "dwarfy!"🤣

As far as seeing the ravages of pain and my rapidly declining health have taken on my appearance, I had a moment of understandable sadness, yet I was not revolted.

What I am trying to convey is I found myself embracing acceptance.  Of me, where I am now...physically. 

Still, I had one more hurdle to make though.  And this was to proceed sharing the video with all of you and those who follow me on Twitter.  As with everything I do in my life, I held onto my courage, the promise I made to do this, and plunged forth by posting the video.

The reactions I received could not have been more affirming, touching, and appreciated than they were.  When I did The Ride with Patches and waited with much concern as to how the public would react to seeing this Little Person riding her horse ten miles to raise money for medical help needed in Maryland, as in being repulsed by the "midget" aspect of me and not me as Adelaide, I found in a HUGE way my horse and I were embraced with acceptance beyond my wildest expectations.

I found the same with my little videos.  This, my dear ones, was sweet, oh so sweet.  And I wasn't even on a horse.  Just a rocker loveseat...rocking.😂🤣😂
















No comments:

Post a Comment