Wednesday, July 15, 2020

When I had a moment with...

When working in Theatre one sometimes meets the famous along the way, and my life just happened to cross paths with a few...

One year Mikhail Baryshnikov, the amazing ballet star was on tour and came to the performing arts center I worked for.  His performance had long since been sold out.

Prior to the performance, when life backstage can really get crazy, the two of us passed each other.  The first was Baryshnikov and a entourage of people around him, while I, with brushes in my hands and paint on my face, was in a rush.

The second time he was alone and stopped me.  He said, "I could not help but notice you..."

I responded with my usual humor by saying, "Oh crap!  Is it because of the paint on my face?!!"

And he burst out laughing.  We briefly chatted, then Baryshnikov asked, "Will you be staying for the performance?"

"I plan to watch it from the wings!  Wouldn't miss it for the world!"

And I was there.

After Baryshnikov's performance he was given roses, and more than one standing ovation.  As the curtains finally fell, he gave me a rose, saying, "This is for meeting you, and THIS is for the paint you still have on your face."  And THAT, was a kiss!

Another performer I was so blessed to meet was the dear actor Harold Gould.  He starred in many stage productions, television shows and movies, including one of my favorites, "The Sting."  Mr. Gould came to town with a stage production he was in.

We met backstage when he couldn't find the way to his dressing room.  Being a Little Person throws open the door for conversations one normally would not get to have.  Mr. Gould said, "I can't help but notice you are a Little Person!"

"Oh geez!  Is it THAT noticeable?!!"

He laughed so hard.

Then we had the nicest conversation.  It turns out he also loved horses.  As soon as he learned about mine, he asked, "How do you get ON them?!!"  (I am asked this so much, I should write a book with that question as the title)...

After the performance we had coffee and a delightful conversation together in his hotel lounge, about life, dreams, art, and horses before going our separate ways.

The next person I am going to share here, is someone most of you may have never heard of, however, those who know theatre, will know who this incredible lady is...Betty Comden.  Her writing partnership with Adolph Green was the longest one in theatre history, lasting six decades.  They provided the lyrics, and screenplays to some of the most beloved Hollywood musicals, and Broadway shows ever.  "Singing In The Rain" is just one of them.

How we met is really funny.  In New York, on a crowded street in the Theatre District one day,
a lady literally ran into me, nearly knocking me over.  This happens to Little People a lot you see, when people not expecting a human to be down here, will plow into us.

Immediately as she began profusely apologizing, I blurted out, "You're Betty Comden!  WOW, it is such a pleasure to meet you!"  Which then shocked the hell out of HER, because often people had no idea what Comden and Green even looked like.  I knew, because of my passion for Theatre History.  I was thrilled to meet her!  Ms. Comden was flattered.

Both of us had a free moment, so we went to a nearby coffee shop, spending a delightful time
talking theatre, Set Design, art, dreams, poetry, jewelry, horses.  "Dear, if you don't mind me asking, how DO you get ON your horse?!!"

Though I have met other famous people, I am only going to share one more here.  And believe me, this is someone known worldwide.  None other than Colonel Harland Sanders himself, of Kentucky Fried Chicken, whose home was close to the farm where I boarded some of my horses.

We first met when he was the Grand Marshall of a small town parade close to the farm, which my pony and I rode in.  He was very intrigued, saying, "Why you're one of those little ones, aren't you?"

"Oh darn!  I didn't think it was showing!"

He got a kick out of my humor.

So about a year later one day, as I was riding my pony Sadie off farm, a limo suddenly pulled up beside us, and it was Colonel Sanders who recognized me because my dwarfism was still showing.

"Little One, I told Miss Claudia (his wife) about you, and she would just love to meet you.  Can you come on up to our place?  PLEEZE?"

How could I possibly turn The Colonel down?  Sadie and I headed up to their place, where The Colonel and Miss Claudia were waiting.  They had been married for decades and clearly adored each other.  And they both had a question they wanted to ask.  "Honey, HOW do you get ON your horse?"

That became the first of a few brief visits where we drank ice tea and talked.

But knowing how fiercely The Colonel guarded the secret of his very famous Kentucky Fried Chicken recipe then, I knew better than to ever ask what was in it...regardless of how cute he thought I was...











No comments:

Post a Comment