Sunday, July 5, 2020

When I helped veterans...

Recently I shared my experiences when working at a architectural firm drawing and painting renderings of what buildings would look like based upon the plans to give clients a visual representation to go by.  Since shows must go on in theatre, even if the Scene Artist suddenly gets thrown into a hospital for a long unexpected time fighting for her life, another one would understandably need to be brought in to do the work.  So there were intervals after I could finally escape from a hospital, that in order to keep a horse, cat, and myself going, I would grab other work which I never seemed to have a problem getting.😃

Another one of these interval jobs was working in both the civilian and federal government capacity helping veterans obtain their benefits.  The job was located on a military base far out in the country to accommodate military helicopters.  There was even a busy base tavern for base personnel only, open in evenings.  I have a reason for sharing there was this tavern on base.🤭

I worked there nearly three years.  When I had been there almost two years, I unexpectedly got thrown in the hospital for spine surgery again.  Here I was working there for an interval due to the sudden previous spine surgery in the middle of fall season set preparations, and WHAM!  Here I was needing yet another sudden spine surgery during my interval job!😫

It was very touching though you see, for by then I had become well known and liked throughout the military base as I was still regaining my ability to walk again from the previous spine surgery and spent my breaks and lunchtime "walking" throughout the base.  Since I hadn't even begun to recover financially from the previous spine surgery, unbeknownst to me the base had a collection drive on my behalf.  Just when I needed it most, I was presented with enough money to keep going for the three months I had to be off.  I was so touched by this!😊

Most who I worked with had served during the last years of WWII, the Korean War, and Vietnam War.  What characters they were too!  It was like working with M.A.S.H. characters, but in real life.😃

My boss, a retired Master Sargeant was the only one who survived in a unit of 240 men during WWII in the Pacific.  Oh, the terrifying stories he would share!😱

My immediate civilian coworker was a tough lady who had a heart of gold, yet cussed like a sailor, drank like a fish, and smoked like a chimney.  Her name was Rita.  And Rita had quite a story too.  Five years previously Rita and her dear husband were driving into town to get take-out chicken dinners for their four children and them.  A drunk driver hit them head on, killing Rita's soul mate instantly, and nearly her.  She came close to losing her leg, yet fought like hell to walk again despite the prognosis given.  Does this sound like someone else you have come to know?😃

So here she was suddenly a widow with four kids.  She soon landed the job at the military base.  Though she usually kept people at arms length, she immediately formed a bond with me as I too, fought to walk again as she did.  And she loved my wicked sense of humor.😂

When I worked there, I lived an hour away.  So did another civilian employee, named Lara.  After I began working there, Lara asked if we could carpool together.  Since I was so strapped financially, I was happy to do this!🙂

Now Lara, who was a very dear lady, was very religious, you see.  So as we carpooled together, I had to be damn careful not to let swear words slip out, which I often failed on.😳😱😳  Bless her heart, riding with Lara was like being in a funeral parlor where everyone is very quiet and careful about what they say.  So I would then arrive at my office, where Sarge, Rita, and all the other guys swore like crazy, were loud, with lively country music playing all day!  The contrast between the two was profound.  And often quite hilarious when I often failed to slip back into funeral parlor mode for the ride home.🤣

Now Rita, who had never drank before this job, took up drinking and partying at the base tavern.  Before her drinking became really bad for awhile, she kept begging me to join her, then had me ride home with her to spend the night which I often did for a time.  I got to know her kids and they adored having me.

So one night when I was to stay with her, she REALLY drank at the tavern.  I was getting concerned.  Finally, I got her to leave.  Only there was a problem.  I couldn't drive her sports car because the pedals were way beyond my reach.  Rita came up with the bright idea she would work the pedals while I handled the wheel.  I still cannot believe I actually was crazy enough to agree to this.😱

"Well whash could go wr-wr-wrong?" she said.

"Alot!"

"Aww, come on Shadelaide, we've got to get home!  My k-k-kids...hiccup...shwill be waitin' ups for ush.  How elsh can we...hiccup...do thish?"

Against everything in me, I agreed.  I insisted we drive the backroads though.

Unbelievably, after some silent prayers on my part, it went fairly well.  Then at one point...

"Shaydelaide, I wanna shmoke now."

"NOT NOW!"

"Oh but Shaydelaide, I...hiccup...NEED a shmoke!"

"You're going to wait!  And would you PLEASE keep your foot on the gas pedal?"

"Yesh, mam!"  As she attempted a salute and accidentally whacked me in the face.🥴

Then she got all teary and mushy on me.

"Shaydelaide, do youse know yoursh the b-b-bestest friend I...hiccup...have eversh had?  Yoush r-really are."

"That's sweet, but keep your foot on the pedal!"

"Shaydelaide, can I shmoke yet?"

"NO!"

"Uh oh.  Shaydelaide...hiccup...I need to pee."

"YOU'RE GOING TO HOLD IT!"

"Yesh shir!!  I mean...hiccup...your majusht...your majush...oh hell...your highness-sess.  Uh, Shaydelaide, what am I shitting on?"

"You're sitting on your coat."

"Uh-oh...hiccup...I think it-est wet."🙃

Eventually we made it, never encountering any other cars, thankfully.  I would have pulled over if we had.  It was the most scary drive I ever made.  And the last with Rita.  Her kids and I convinced her she was drowning her sorrow in alcohol and making her kids feel like orphans because she was lost in drinking.  She quickly sobered up and changed.

She still swore and smoked like crazy though, but we were all thrilled she wasn't drinking.

Soon after, Theatre came calling again and I galloped off to a new chapter of my journey.🐎😃🐎  

For awhile I kept in touch with everyone.  Rita eventually happily married again.  Still said I was the best friend she ever had.

"Adelaide, do you remember how we got home that night?  I can never seem to remember that for some reason."🤣😂🤣
































No comments:

Post a Comment