Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Adelaide's aplomb...

*Websters definition of aplomb is: a state of mind or manner marked by composure, an easy coolness; freedom from uncertainty, or embarrassment.

As you now know, hilarious things can happen to this Little Person!

Like when I used to have speaking engagements.  Well, as you know, podiums are designed for an average height person...NOT a person of MY height.  Often I would have to stand on a chair to be seen over the podium and to reach the microphone.  

No problem, right?

Wrong.

Sometimes one can forget one is height compromised if one is standing on a chair when speaking.  And it comes time for that person to make a grand exit away from the podium...and then...AND THEN...suddenly go gracefully flying through the air in front of a large audience.

Falling off my horses has served me well though, you see.  To help prevent injury and save face, if one falls in one smooth free flowing event, one may eventually end up back on one's feet like the whole thing was meant to happen just to show how very talented and athletic one can be in these things.

So this talent served me quite well with aplomb when I had a memory lapse, forgetting I was standing on a chair before a large crowd of people.

Sometimes aplomb is needed to grab a moment.

In a city I once lived was a gentleman who was the official Santa...and he looked just like Santa too, with a real white beard, red clothing, and spectacles.  One day during the Christmas Season, I was in a busy grocery store shopping.  As I hurried around a corner up a crowded aisle, I ran right smack into Santa.

For a moment we both looked at each other in complete surprise.

Seizing the moment, I blurted out, "Santa!  I know I should be with the other elves up North right now, but there were things we needed from this store!"

He went with it, and replied, "Ho Ho Ho!  We've been so busy, I understand, my little one!  I had to come also.  Did the reindeer bring you too?"

"No, because they are all with you!  But I found another way to get here."

Back and forth we went.  You should have seen not only the faces of the kids in that aisle, but the adults!  They were totally transfixed.  They absolutely loved us!  By grabbing a moment with aplomb, we gave a bunch of harried adults and tired kids a moment they will likely never forget.  Besides having fun doing it.  A touch of wonder moment in Aisle 10.

Having aplomb is a wonderful thing, dear ones.  Grab hold of aplomb and land on your feet.










No comments:

Post a Comment