Saturday, March 7, 2020

Footprints upon our hearts...

Some come into our lives and forever leave their footprints upon our hearts.  And I have been very blessed to have many sets of footprints upon mine.

As I touched on in an earlier blog, I was seventeen when I began living on my own.  I was also in my last year of high school, being sponsored at a art gallery as one of their youngest artists ever, and I worked in a busy florist and gift shop...which became a touchstone of my life in the many years to follow.

The owner, Ella, discovered very quickly, that as an artist, I had a natural gift for arranging flowers, besides sharing other jobs.  She also had my artwork for sale in her gift shop too.

What with the kind of childhood I had, Ella, like several other older, dear male and female friends through these early years of my life, each became adoptive parent/mentor friends, who showed me loving guidance and support when I needed it most.  

There were three to five, including Ella and myself 
working in her florist shop, who did everything from flower arranging, taking orders, making deliveries, doing weddings, and funerals.

One time when I delivered flowers to a funeral home, I went in, and there was no one to be found.  It was dead quiet.  And I couldn't find the room for flowers.

And then...AND THEN...I entered a room and saw someone partially dressed, and I blurted out, "Oh excuse me, I'm so sorry, but I can't find the...OH SHIT! YOU'RE DEAD!"  It was then I heard hysterical laughter coming from a back room.  Then it was his turn to be caught off guard, when the Director came out and encountered a Little Person with a huge floral arrangement for the coffin as big as she was!  

We did huge weddings and very VERY small ones.  At one of the very small ones, the pianist did not show up, and the couple were distraught as would be expected.  Ella looked at me, "Adelaide, let's help them out."  Not only did we do the flowers, I played the piano for their wedding!  They were so touched.  And very grateful.  It was such a blessing to help them.

Anyway, for decades Ella and I remained close friends until her passing, as I followed Theatre jobs with a horse and cat in tow, having spine surgeries and the bone marrow treatments in cancer wards.  Whenever I came back to town, I always stayed at her home, besides being needed to arrange flowers.  And play Chess or Scrabble.

When I was seventeen, with ink, I painted three separate huge galloping horses on heavy paper 4' x 3', each nearly as tall as me.  Ella had them framed, and two sold.  She always adored the last one, and I finally realized she told those interested that it had been sold.  I didn't care.  Ella kept it with her until her passing.

Always remember, dear ones...to cherish those who come into our lives, forever leaving their footprints upon our hearts...and we are never ever the same again.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment