Friday, February 7, 2020

About my galloping art life

Besides the dwarfism, I was born with two other things:  a deep passion for horses, and art.  From an early age I began putting horses on paper.  No bridles, halters, or fences though.  Just free, galloping horses.

By the time I was seventeen a art gallery represented myself and another artist the same age...the two youngest ever at the time.  They also sponsored my first print...ahem...of a galloping horse.  My story featured in a newspaper the first time.  Unbelievable.  I was being focused on, not because I was a Little Person, but because of my talent.  To me at the time, that was awesome.

Off to college I went stoked to major in art.  Only the advisor told me we artists should major in something else more dependable.  So I chose another passion of mine...Theatre.  What could be more dependable than Theatre, right?!!  

Actually, I majored in Theatre Set Design, which may be a bit more dependable than the acting realm.  Set Design, like painting on huge canvas flats, etc., before the amazing computer graphics came along.  Besides, majoring in Set Design involved art classes too!

However...school kept getting interrupted by spine surgeries, walking again, supporting myself and a horse, and all that stuff.  Nevertheless, I persevered...for a decade or two...or three.

My next blog focuses on what happened next...


No comments:

Post a Comment