Tuesday, February 25, 2020

My Shetland pony Sadie...

All I seek is Heaven above me, and a horse beneath me.

"Hey Adelaide!  Let's swim across on our horses!"

This was a HUGE pond, about the equivalent of two acres.  On my Shetland pony, Sadie.  With my best friends Lacy and her brother Rob and their horses.

Sadie was a dear, sweet black and white pinto, and she absolutely LOVED water!  We couldn't just cross a creek, you see.  Sadie had to splash in it until she got us both drenched...which is why I never went anywhere NEAR a creek during winters.

What a trio the three of us made too!  Lacy's horse was a beautiful black Quarter Horse mare named Vandalla, and Rob's horse Havoc was a large black and white pinto pony.  They, like me, rode bareback and often barefoot too, during the summer months.

There was not a trail or field in the area we hadn't galloped on with our beloved horses.

One day we discovered this amazing long trail that went through a forest, and then opened up into vast fields with this HUGE pond.  It was when we took our horse and ponies to let them drink, and Sadie began splashing, Rob thought it would be great fun for all to swim across.  Something none of us had ever done before with a horse.  Oh, the exuberance of youth, huh?!!

Since Sadie was a Shetland pony, we two were swimming in no time!  Rather, she swam and I swam beside her holding onto her mane and the reins.  Vandalla with Lacy, and Havoc with Rob, were next to us doing the same.

We hadn't exactly planned just how best we should exit the pond though...like could we manage to be on their backs when we came out? 

As Sadie and I neared the shore, I floated over her back, so when she came out, I would be on her.  Only horses can become very slippery when soaking wet.  And I am talking SLIPPERY.  VERY SLIPPERY.

We made a lovely grand exit as we came out of the pond, and then I promptly went flying off onto the grass.  Laughing.  The same thing happened to both Lacy and Rob.  

Our horses seemed to really enjoy it.  When we decided to swim back, they all three eagerly plunged back in and yes, we all three went flying off again...laughing.

The three of us somehow knew what we shared that day would forever remain as treasure in our hearts.  And has it ever.  A moment of shared bliss I will forever hold onto.  


No comments:

Post a Comment