Tuesday, February 11, 2020

One of those touch of wonder moments in life...

Along the way now and then, I have been blessed with those bright, amazing touch of wonder moments.  Rare moments, which happen out of the blue.

Not long after Patches came into my life, I had yet another spine surgery.  Through no fault of my dear surgeon, everything went wrong.  I suddenly began bleeding out thirteen hours in.  Immediately following eighteen hours of surgery, a huge hematoma formed on my spinal cord and began pressing on it.  I was becoming paralyzed.  My surgeon rushed back in, and it took another three hours to remove the hematoma.  Twenty-one hours in surgery that day!

Days later on Christmas Day in ICU, we discovered I still had a tiny bit of movement in a few of my toes.  For all I was worth I focused on my toes until they ALL began moving.  Then my feet...legs.  I had a life I wanted to get back to!

The spine surgery was the week before Christmas.  It was Spring when I finally reached the place where I could walk with a cane instead of a walker.  I wondered if Patches would still remember me.  He was only six months old when I "disappeared," and now he was ten months old! 

One bright Sunday, friends from the farm offered to take me with them out to the farm since I still couldn't drive.  

The farm was busy that day.  I was so touched because many had come out when they heard I was going to be there, and we were all thrilled to finally see each other again.

I saw Patches way off in the distance high on a hill.  Someone offered to go get him for me.  

"Thank you...first, please wait just a moment," I said.  

I cupped my hands and called his name.  Suddenly, his head shot up and he began excitedly looking around as if he couldn't believe what he was hearing.  I called again, and waved my arms.

All of a sudden he loudly neighed, and began flying down that field.  Then he briefly disappeared into the small grove of trees.  Suddenly Patches burst out the other side at full gallop charging up the hill, at the same time so excited, he was trying to neigh but squeaked.

EVERYTHING but Patches stopped right where they were watching.  Hard bitten men were wiping tears from their eyes.  All the horses even stopped and watched.  We all realized we were witnessing something very beautiful and magical.

Patches slammed to a stop a few feet from me, then walked up to me happily rubbing his head up and down me again and again.  Oh my, did he ever remember me!

This...was indeed...one of those amazing...rare, "touch of wonder" gems in life to hold forever.











No comments:

Post a Comment