Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Having a sense of humor...

Anyone who knows me, or who has heard me speak, knows what a sense of humor I have.  I just have never been one who complains or dwells in self pity.

I love whenever I am behind someone buying cigarettes.  I absolutely LOVE the look on their face when I mention cigarettes can stunt your growth, and they turn around to see who said that.  They, and everyone else in line, not only have a good laugh, but they get to see a Little Person in a positive light...even sharing how much I brightened their day.  By the way, I have never smoked, so I don't know if it's really true smoking stunts ones' growth or not.😄

Anyway, one day when people in an elevator were discussing concern about the possibility of 3-4 inches of snow in the forecast, I said, "As long as it doesn't get over 3 feet, I will be okay."  After they fell over laughing, they told me how I made their day.  One even said I made her realize how much people like me are like everyone else.  Ka-CHING!

One of the advantages of being a Little Person, is that I am remembered.  A few months after the funny, inspiring elevator moment, I was in the grocery store.  A man had been rudely following me trying to get a picture of me on his cellphone.  Suddenly, I whipped my cellphone out, and said to him, "Let me first take a picture of YOU being disrespectful."  All of a sudden a lady close by, whipped out her cellphone too, and told the man, "And I want to get your picture too, of you being disrespectful to this lady."  Then two other men, and a lady whipped out their cellphones, saying the same thing!  

The perpetrator closed his phone and walked away in shame.

It turned out, the lady who first whipped her phone out after me, was in the elevator the day I humorously talked about the snow (small world!😂).  Because of that connection in the elevator, she suddenly joined me in confronting the rude man.

One of the men who whipped out his cellphone with us against the perpetrator, said to us all, how he had come to the store to get groceries, but he was going away with so much more.

Soon after that, two people were killed in the nation due to rage incidents, and that is when I decided it would be safer not to confront these people anymore.

Nevertheless, I carry with me the treasure of what happened in the grocery store that day, all because I shared my humor in the elevator one day... 

No comments:

Post a Comment