Monday, February 3, 2020

The mean invasive, dangerous ridicule I encounter when not galloping on a horse

I have never been one to dwell on my physical pain and challenges, nor the mean, increasingly dangerous ridicule we Little People encounter.  And let me tell you, it has worsened in the past three years.  This will not be my focus here, yet since I must encounter these things EVERY TIME I leave my home, this is what I live with...to convey the depth of this aspect of the challenges I endure, I must touch on them in today's blog.

First, in no way do I equate what I endure, with the hate level of antisemitism and racism out there.

Many are not aware that the "M" word, midget, is as deeply offensive and hurtful to us as the "N" word is to African Americans.  It's not the word itself, but the WAY it is said to us.  And from early childhood, I have had to deal with the intense hurt, helplessness, and anger it evokes.

With the advent of cellphones and the Internet, we Little People, and all physically challenged, now have a new way to be treated as an object, and not as human.  People are taking my pictures as I am trying to get groceries, gas, or get in my car.  They are going out of their way to do so.  I am followed.  

Several months ago, the BBC did a piece focusing on the websites in the U.S. where people can post these pictures of those like me, and the more hits, the more money they get.  So people who already treat us like a object of ridicule, have even more reason to.  And trust me, they are.

Words cannot express how much my blood boils when this happens.  In the early days I would "get back" by taking a bow.  Yet, I cannot do or say anything to the perpetrator in today's climate, though I have tremendous courage.  How do I know the person doing this isn't prone to rage and carrying a gun?  All I can do is stuff it.  I have fought too hard to survive all my physical battles, to risk losing my life over a "human" lacking any decency who may possibly be a ticking time bomb.

It sucks!  It's not right.  It's not fair.  And it's getting worse out there.

Remember the opiate crisis?  I am getting STRANGERS coming up to me asking if I have any!  People assume since I am a Little Person I must have opiates!  Not so!  It's scary.  What if the next desperate person does NOT just walk away?

As I mentioned, I am not going to dwell on this aspect of what I live with here, but it is important that I share it.

One thing though, NO ONE has ever been mean or called me the "M" word when I have been on one of my horses...  

No comments:

Post a Comment