Friday, February 21, 2020

Horse wonders...

Several years ago in Sidelines Magazine was a touching story of a horse that could have gone to slaughter.  At a barn where people could purchase horses in need, a number of potential buyers were there.  A mare in a 
stall kept kicking the stall walls, scaring everyone away...except for a long time jump trainer.

Eventually he decided to enter her stall.  When he did, she immediately went to him and buried her head under his arm.   In tears he realized she was TRYING to get help the only way she could, because she KNEW what was happening.  He bought her.  She has since been working her way up the jump circuit with that trainer and a young rider she has also bonded with.  Horses know where they are about to go, and they know when they are safe.  And loved. 

I have touched on how my horse Havilla had gone blind.  She was the only one of my horses who never came to me when I called her.  Though I would have to go get Havilla, she never made an attempt to run away from me.  

Havilla was extremely close to a beautiful horse named Strand, and the two were always together.  Yet when I would take Havilla away from Strand, they were never upset being separated as some horses become.  When done with Havilla, I noticed she would neigh for Strand, and wait for him as he came to her.  Then the two would go on their way.

Watching the two one day, I noticed how after Strand came to Havilla, as they left, Havilla was constantly touching his rump with her nose.  Then it suddenly hit me, something was wrong with her eyes!  Soon after, the vet confirmed it.  After I told him about Strand being her eyes, we both marvelled at HOW did they work this out?  HOW did Strand understand she needed him in that way?

The farm where I boarded some of my horses was 200 acres with only the outer perimeter fenced.  There was a long driveway that wound its way through the property.  If Patches saw my car coming, I wouldn't have to call him, because he KNEW my car!  He would come running, then follow or trot along side the car until we reached our special place.

Since two other boarders had cars the same color as mine with similar shapes, I asked them if Patches ever followed their cars thinking it was me.  He didn't.  Yet he KNEW exactly which was MY car from a long distance.  Amazing.

The miracle of horses...but then, I am kind of prejudiced, you see.😃



No comments:

Post a Comment